Author Topic: Teaching almost 11 month old to ss- possible?!  (Read 600 times)

Offline Hollie-Mae

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Teaching almost 11 month old to ss- possible?!
« on: July 26, 2014, 19:38:02 pm »
I've posted about getting my daughter to ss numerous times over the past 11 months, and here I am again! She is almost 11 mo, a severe reflexer but heavily medicated with now, gat success- thus the reason she doesn't self settle and has been rocked and driven to sleep. She did ss until 8wo and then life turned into hell. I am a primary school teacher and decided to wait until the summer to crack this once and for all, but I feel like a fish out of water, I have NO IDEA how to do this with a strong willed, standing and almost walking per toddler. Tonight I sat and patted her back until she was drowsy, almost sleeping, and then put her in the cot and all hell broke loose. My husband did his usual wanting to take her out in the car, and until now this has been the go to answer as its the only way he can help and she will always go off in the car. Can anyone give me step by step tips or is it just too late to even try this now? :(

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Teaching almost 11 month old to ss- possible?!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:58:30 am »
It is NEVER too late, and good for you for not letting hubby take her out in the car.  What you'll need to keep in mind is this isn't necessarily going to be a quick fix, it may take several weeks to really teach her how to self settle.  The good news is, there's lots your hubby can do to help!
What is your bedtime routine with her?  Can you post your EASY so we can take a look?  Both would be really helpful.

Offline Hollie-Mae

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
I know that quick fix doesn't exist, sadly, haha!

Bedtime is- meds, bath, milk then upstairs, get bedroom ready and sit in the chair with dummy. It takes a good 10-20 mins for her to stop babbling and fidgeting before she settles enough and I think this is because I used to be rocking her for that time. She will now go to sleep with me signing to her and patting her back but sadly won't do any of it in her cot. Also wont just fall asleep in my arms without distraction.

Easy is changing ATM, I think we may be in 2-1 transition and its actually quite smooth- is this normal?!

Wu- 7am

Meds and milk 7.30am

Breakfast 9.30am

S- 10.30- 12.30/1 (she used to be 1.5 hour to the minute, twice a day, but she's now having a huge sleep in the morning and then lasting all day. Not sure if I should be allowing this but I've been going with it so far?!)

Meds and lunch- 1/1.30

Dinner- 5

Milk-6.30

Bed 7

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 18:31:27 pm »
Thanks for posting your EASY!  10-20 minutes of babbling is not actually all that bad, she's winding herself down from her day and this is just part of it.  Clearly you're already making progress as you've taken the rocking out and replaced it with quiet sitting. 
Each child is different, my DS is 11.5 and is also in the 2-1 transition but there is no way he could last from 12:30-6:45 without another nap.  If your daughter seems fine with it than so be it.
I would probably recommend you start to minimize the signing, that can be quite stimulating to babies.  You are, after all, communicating with her, which is fascinating for her but you want this to be a period of calm.  Have you tried rubbing her back or just placing a hand on her back in her crib while she lies down?  This is recommended by Tracy as a self soothing technique because you're not interacting with her but you are present.  This is also something that either you or your husband could do, so your husband can still feel involved and you can get a break from always being the one to put DD to bed. 
What do you think?