Author Topic: Accidentally let her CIO, what do I do now?  (Read 911 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Accidentally let her CIO, what do I do now?
« on: July 29, 2014, 19:41:14 pm »
Feel free to scold me, Im am furious at myself.
We are away on a road trip.Its what we do every year, visit friends and family and go camping.
(This year we decided to skip the camping.)
So what happened was, while visiting a friend I put her to sleep. She was falling asleep so I left and went about the rest of the night. With the TV on, I didnt heard her when she started to cry. It might have been for a minute, or it might have been for 30 minutes (gulp). When I check on her she was clearly upset.
So I moved the PnP in the living room and slept there with her, she was falling asleep in my arms but was drowsy when I (forced myself to) put her down. Her night went on as usual. She nw for a feed, wu at 6 then feed and sleep until 8.
Now every nap and bt are a mess. She is T or OT but doesnt want to sleep.
But I cant be sure if its bc of that.
As I said, we are on a road trip, and while my family understand what Im trying to do with her routine and are very helpful. But DH`s family is another story.  Lets just say that at one point I had to leave for a walk in tears. Once I left V to sleep at BT, she was doing her mantra "cry" when all of a sudden dh`s cousin comes out with V in her hands saying she cant leave a baby to cry. Aghh.
At the same time, as much as I tried to have her on her routine, it was a mess. She was falling asleep in the car, she was woke up but ppl at all hours of the day and night, so one day her BT was 10!
Today she vent down easy for her 2 naps but for the first one I took her to the store with me (walking her around helped while we visited dh`s family) and for the second one we took a car ride to visit more of   dh`s family and she got drowsy on the way back.
BT was chaos. My sister put her down bc I have a huge headache, it took a while for her to settle. My sister finally did shhhhh and sang a song put her down and she was done for the night.
So Im guessing it all added up to this. What do I do now? Can I hope that things will get back on track when we go back? (I cant do pu/pd,she hates patting if I do pat/shh...) Im trying to answer to every cry, some times being there even before she wakes so that she knows Im there...
I feel so sorry for my little smurf, she had such a hard time even with out it.
So tell me, what can I do to mend this? For my little one to be sure that mommy is and always will be there?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Accidentally let her CIO, what do I do now?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 19:50:52 pm »
Oh lovey, you sound so stressed. :(

Listen, you're travelling so you'll really just have to go with the flow for now.  And hatch a plan for getting back on track when you get home. :)

Do you have some quieter days while you're travelling? I'd try to use those to get her to sleep more in her cot (travel cot?).  Today actually sounds good to me -it's great to be able to AP naps when you're on the move, that'll save you and her a lot of heartache from OT. It's something my LO1 would never ever do!  So keep that up, get her napping in her cot (or whatever) if and when you can, but try not to stress about it.  Sounds like a lot is out of your control right now, eh?  Take it easy on yourself, try to enjoy your time away, and do what you can for LO.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 19:51:22 pm »
She knows you're there, she's likely a bit messed up from the trip. Accidentally letting her cry and then going to her is not cio (at least to my mind)!

Don't beat yourself up, you're doing a fabulous job.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 19:53:01 pm »
Yeah, and CIO is not going to a baby you hear crying - that's not what you did, you went when you heard her.  Don't beat yourself up.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 22:34:41 pm »
There are plenty of us here who have accidentally let their LO cry for a time, me included, forgot to put the monitor on  ::)
I truly believe your LO knows you are there for her. She knows she wasn't left all night crying, she knows you went to her at the first point when you knew she needed you. We all make mistakes. Try to forgive yourself, I am sure your LO has already forgiven you and still trusts you  :-*
(LOs who know that someone comes to their cry will also cry louder and for longer, she might well have escalated her cry intentionally because she knew you would come, it doesn't necessarily mean she was more stressed because she cried louder)

Offline dache

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 19:41:41 pm »
You are right Weaver, Im so stressed. I thought that we would relax but Im more stressed then at home.
The things that are out of my control, and Im having a hard time dealing with. (ppl trying to do things that are making loud noises exactly at the moment when she is falling a sleep, or just going to her in the cot and playing with her and she is amused and smile at everything, and everyone)
Well, its a relief that Im not the only one. She was so upset the past days I thought its because I didnt went to her when she needed me. But I think her teeth are coming out, 4 of them picking trough and I think her two more also are coming out soon.
Ohhhh, nap and bt are terrible. Yesterday and today less then an hour in naps all day with bt at 7 but asleep at 8.20
 It doesnt matter the activities we did,or didnt do. She wouldnt sleep, not even in the wrap,something that never happened before.
Well, hopefully we`ll be at home tomorrow night and I`ll work things out over the weekend

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 20:50:14 pm »
I'm sure you'll get back on track once you are home and you'll feel better that more is in your control too.
Going away is great, going home is great :)

Offline dache

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 19:36:06 pm »
Well, its been 2 days since we are at home. First day-great! Naps 1.5h, had a df then woke up at 12.30, took few oz and went back to sleep until 6!
And thank good for that rest bc last night and today was horror. Seriously! Waking up every 30min or so. Cried all day today!
I cant wait for those teeth to come out. Im giving baby paracetamol and I just bought a very expensive gel I hope its will work.

Falling asleep is better these days. She needs a few minutes to settle but she does fall asleep fast.
But when I go in to sooth her she is more interested in holding my hand (which is a distraction for her) and Im not sure but when I leave her sight she starts crying, same with dh but calms down soon, or she cries even more.
Could it be SA?