Author Topic: Just turned one - how should the routine look now??  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Melsy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
Just turned one - how should the routine look now??
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:58:42 am »
Am trying to introduce cow's milk in a sippy to my just turned 1 year old ds#2.  He doesn't seem to drink as much as when having formula in a bottle, but he sees his brother drinking from a cup and kept trying to steal it so I thought I might as well bite the bullet and try and introduce cow's milk and cup. 

Just wondering how / when you gave milk - with meals?  Or with m.tea / afternoon tea?  I have read that lots of people have kept up the night time bottle for awhile. 

I haven't given a bottle at all today so far!  He had cup of milk with cereal and toast, then m.tea (fruit and water) then 1st nap.  Then lunch with a cup of milk, the afternoon tea (fruit and yoghurt with water) and is now asleep for 2nd nap.  Does that sound ok??  He didn't really drink that much milk with the food, but figure he still has yoghurt, custard, cheese etc as well.

How did you do milk / cup at this age??

Mel

DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

Offline James_mummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Gorgeous blue eyes xx
Re: Just turned one - how should the routine look now??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:54:23 am »
Im quite interested in anyones answer to this too.
My lo is just about to turn 1 so wanted to find out what the routine should be looking like? Am planning to introduce cows milk tomo  ::)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 15:52:06 pm »
TBH if he isnt missing the bottle at all I would just go with it!!  Like you said he is getting dairy from other sources as well so no worry that way and he will increase his consumption over time. 

With B the bedtime bottle was the last to go as well and I just gradually made it smaller and then stopped all together.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 18:01:24 pm »
marking! :)
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 18:02:11 pm »
erm... I keep trying to write m-a-r-k-i-n-g and it keeps coming up saying oops! ??? sorry... really strange! Just wanted to say it looks good to me too and keep an eye on this thread as ds is 11 months now. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 18:03:53 pm by Mum to Ella Rose »
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 20:19:05 pm »
I am going to pop this over to Eating for Toddlers.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline AlsOne

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:15 am »
Sorry to hyjack, my lo just turned 1, and I am trying to get some answers too.

Lana, just interested to know, at what age did your lo stop with the milk before bed time?
And what age do they stop it in the morning too?

Thanks in advance
ALison :)

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 14:26:11 pm »
I didnt give milk with meals (except sometimes with breakfast and that was more to do with timing than anything else) - by 1 year ds had 2 milk feeds from a cup and that was morning either before or along with breakfast and in the evening before bed. He still sometimes has milk in the am and pm if he wants it but other days he doesnt have it at all but will make up for it through his food.

Offline Melsy

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:14:41 am »
DS#2 hasn't had a bottle at all for 2 or 3 days now!!!  I stressed so much about getting rid of the bottles with #1 - but #2 hasn't even cared that there is no more bottles!!!   :D

He hasn't been wanting milk with lunch so I will do what the previous poster just mentioned - milk before or with breakfast in cup and cup of milk before bed.  Water or diluted juice with lunch and water with snacks. 

Hope everyone else is going ok??

Mel
DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:44:51 pm »
Alison, My DD is 16 months and she still has about 5 oz of milk in the morning and 8 oz before bed.  She makes up for the rest with her food.

My DS however had dropped his morning milk by 18 months, and by 20 months stopped having milk before bed too.  He has all his calcium through food as he has never been much of a milk drinker, but loves his yogurts, and has a huge bowl of cereal in the morning too.

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 13:42:01 pm »
Hi Ladies,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in as I am interested in this discussion too.

DD will turn 1 yo next 5th and we have an app with her Dr next 3rd, so I'm going to ask him about cow's milk and so forth.

Have you ever given soy milk to your LOs?

Lidia

Offline AshleyB

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • My Photos
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 17:10:19 pm »
Hi, Lidia! We're both on the same track. I have the same exact question. I want to know how much milk to give and whether soy milk is appropriate for babies. It seems we all have the same concerns.
Mom to Chandler McCrea born April 2, 2008
Spirited/Textbook

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 21:07:54 pm »
At this age they still need about 20oz of calcium per day.  This can include milk that they drink, yogurts, cheeses, milk in cereal, custards and cooking etc.

Hope this helps.

AshleyB - I am not sure about Soy, might be worth checking with your docs.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 13:47:16 pm »
Hi All,

So after the appointment with the Dr he said that as a general rule, when LOs turn 1 yo, they are "ready" to eat everything. Of course that this doesn't mean you need to offer candies, fried goods and fatty foods right in the beggining. He said that there's no problem to offer soy milk as long as you don't replace all the milk intake for the soy one. The best natural calcium source for them to grow is available from the cow's milk.

So we are running out of formula and DD is still BF'ing so my plan is to go cold turkey from formula to cow's milk and let her self wean as long it doesn't go over 1.5 yo (I decided  :P)

HTH

Lidia

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 13:53:19 pm »
Good luck with going cold turkey Lidia.  Just one thing to remember is that there is quite a big growth spurt at 1 year.  We dropped the night time formula  as soon as DD turned one and we had night wakings, so we introduced formula until the growth spurt was over.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 19:32:00 pm »
Hi Paula,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that there was a big GS at 1 yo.... DD's 4, 5 and 6 mo GS were really visible so I'd better get prepared for this one to come.

XO

Lidia

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 20:12:19 pm »
My DD's previous growth spurts were not that visable.  She would eat more in the day but still never woke at night, but BOY oh BOYdid I notice the 1 year one.  I could not understand why my perfect sleeper was awake for like 2 hours in the night moaning and not sleeping :o  I felt awful when I realised it was a growth spurt :'(, re-introduced her formula and she slept through again.

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 16:49:13 pm »
My DD's previous growth spurts were not that visable.  She would eat more in the day but still never woke at night, but BOY oh BOYdid I notice the 1 year one.  I could not understand why my perfect sleeper was awake for like 2 hours in the night moaning and not sleeping :o  I felt awful when I realised it was a growth spurt :'(, re-introduced her formula and she slept through again.

Hi Paula.... how long did the NWs last? Just interested as my DD is just coming up 13 months and for the last couple of months we have been going 1 step forward and 2 back with NWs! And I'm yet to get to the bottom of why! There are soooooooooooo many reasons I could come up with...ear infection (twice) with fever, permanent cold, teeth, moving onto one nap (kept refusing bedtime - had to keep bringing last nap earlier and earlier to get her to go to bed that one nap seemed to work best)... I could go on and on. Never considered GS to be honest!

x

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 16:50:39 pm »
Meant to also say, sometimes, it can take us up to 2hrs to get her to go back to sleep too. She wakes, cries, we go in, tell her to lie down, she lays back down, seems to go back to sleep, but wakes again crying! Argh!

x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 20:37:10 pm »
I re-introduced the formula the next night and she slept through from then.  I had formula left over so decided to finish it, so she had been on formula for a while longer.

Leeanne76 - we have had some strange nights too.  I have not put it down to the 2 to 1 switch as we did this at 10 months.  I think that a lot of it has to do with teething.  I have found that if my DD wakes in the night and I don't respond with teething gel / pain meds when she is teething that it all goes pear shaped.  She gets way OT and then finds it diffcult to get back to sleep.  We had one of these sessions on Tuesday night where she woke around 1:30 - 2:00 am ish and I only got her back to sleep at 5am :o

I also think sometimes that SA anxiety has a bit to do with the night wakings too.

Offline AshleyB

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • My Photos
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 23:17:00 pm »
I recently dropped the 2nd bottle of the day (lunch) and am trying to slowly serve her formula at a cooler temperature so she can jump to regular milk more easily. I'm finding, however, that she just won't drink formula if it isn't warm. She'll suck on/play with a bottle in the evening for an hour and not drink more than 3 ounces. However, if the formula is warm, she drinks it right down.

I'm also finding that she's becoming constipated since dropping that bottle. I try giving her juice and water, but she only wants an ounce or so.
Mom to Chandler McCrea born April 2, 2008
Spirited/Textbook