Author Topic: Why he doesn't eat...it getting worse everyday! Please any advice  (Read 1497 times)

Offline deliamar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My lo is 12 months and ha was always a good eater...with soilds I didn't have a problem. A week ago he started refusing food; frst he started taking it but pulling it out with his tongue and now he doesn't want it at all. He looks at the food and he decide he doesn't want it; he had that food before without a problem.

He has started nursery full time last week and before he went twice a week and he was eating fine all his food but now he is refusing the food as well.

Of course for me is very annoyed coz I am worried about my lo as well I expend my time cooking to throw everything to the bin.

Sometimes he starts eating a bit but after 5 spoons starts pulling the food out and playing with his hands.

He has a cough and ear infection and i though all last week was due to that but he still eating somethings he likes...like pudding, fruit etc

Can this be related to the change of routine...starting nursery FT??

Any advice please.

Thank you!!

Delia

Offline Mimi 2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 167
Re: Why he doesn't eat...it getting worse everyday! Please any advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 19:11:39 pm »
Hi Delia,

How is his milk/formula/bm intake?  Is he taking any more milk now that he is not taking any solids?  Is he teething?  Is he on fingerfood?  If he is still eating his favorites then it could be a phase of spoon refusal.  Have a read at this and see if it it is time to let him be in control of his food intake. 

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline alilaa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • ...on a very steep learning curve...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:41 am »
Hi Delia,
I just wanted to write and say you're not alone.
My 12MO is doing EXACTLY the same! (for about 3 weeks now)
If it's sweets he will eat it but come to something with nutritional value and he just has a tantrum.
I have made sure I am not giving more milk because I have noticed that if I do there is even less chance of getting the food down.
The other day I was so frustrated that I just gave him the spoon, and although VERY messy to my surprise he actually got some of his dinner down through experimenting / playing with the food.
My take has so far has been to keep my fingers crossed that it is just a phase and hope for the best each meal, and not exhaust myself with cooking elaborate meals that may not get eaten... back to basics!
I hope this helps, and I am also interested if there are any other suggestions out there???
:)
...Alida...

Angel / Textbook

Textbook

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:46:09 am »
Could it be he still doesn't feel 100% after the cough, cold, ear infection?

I know with my DS, it often takes another week after an illness for him to eat again properly. Until then he chooses to drink milk and eat yogurts etc.

It could also be worth a trip back to the Dr. to see if that ear infection has really cleared up :-\
Is he sleeping ok?

Hugs
Lis
xx

Offline deliamar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 18:09:29 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

I still pulling my hair and getting crazy! He finished the medication last week and from Friday he was eating everything at nursery and home, but since yesterday we have got back again to refusing food...he starts playing with food and pulling out but he tries with his fingers until gets upset and no more is taken.

I normally try but I don't force him but he starts with the tantrums so I put him down. I feel awful because after work I will like to be spending a nice time with him but I finish so frustated that I can't do that.

What I should in this case just leave and continue as nothing happened or what?

Thank you!

Delia

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 22:01:28 pm »
I personally would just continue as if nothing had happened but I'm no expert... I mostly just wanted to bump this up for you.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline alilaa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • ...on a very steep learning curve...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:00:25 am »
Hi Delia,

How's it all going now?

My LO was ravenous today... maybe a growth spurt? I'm not sure I was quite prepared and just to have a laugh, by the end of the day I was wondering if he had eaten too much!

I think I agree with Jessica on this one (if there is no medical problems) just ride it out and hope it doesn't last too long... though I did read that it can last up to the age of 3 :o
...Alida...

Angel / Textbook

Textbook

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:08:48 am »
They all go through phases of refusing food.  The key thing is not to get upset over it - harder than it sounds, I know.  It is impossible for a toddler to starve himself, and therefore he will eat enough to keep going.  If you keep offering foods that he normally eats, and do your best to maximise the calories he takes - adding cheese to things is a good way of doing this - then he will eat again when he wants to.  Let him eat as much/as little as he wants and then take it away without making a big deal out of it.  It is best not to spend hours making elaborate dishes for him, as you will get more upset when he doesn't eat it.  You should also avoid giving him snacks - if he finds himself hungry after refusing a couple of meals, he will learn that he needs to eat more when it is offered.

dd1 went through a phase of about 6 months of refusing food.  She lost 1.5kg but then suddenly started eating again and has regained the weight.  It is really hard not to worry about it, but he really won't starve himself.
Cx