Author Topic: bedtime bottle and tooth brushing???  (Read 5785 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
bedtime bottle and tooth brushing???
« on: March 07, 2009, 14:05:29 pm »
hiya,

not sure if this is a food or routine issue so not sure where to post, feel free to move if nec.

HV recommended i drop the bedtime bottle (he only has 3/4oz) as he isnt brushing his teeth after this. just wondering how you all do this?

currently hunter has dinner/dessert/5 oz milk in sippy at 6pm, finishes around 630pm, then brushes teeth, bath, pjs, bottle, 2 stories, bed.

hunter isnt a fan of getting his teeth brushed, loves doing it himself but it's always works him up a bit when we do it so brushing after bottle isnt an option. but i dont know if he'd last from 6pm dinner/milk (finishes around 630pm) until 730 breaky/milk in the morning. seems like a long time to wait...

Qs
- what does your dinner/bedtime milk and toothbrushing look like?
- when did you drop the bedtime bottle?
- is it too long to expect him to go from dinner time til breaky without the extra milk top up?

thanks
kirry

hrk

Re: bedtime bottle and tooth brushing???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 14:40:28 pm »
Hi!

We dropped a bottle at night not too long ago.  We finally were able to change dinner to a later time.
7:30 breakfast
10:30 lunch
11/11:30 nap begins for 2.5 hrs
2:00 sometimes I offer milk or water on waking with his prevacid
4:00 large snack; sometimes this is moved earlier if he seems hungry; usually he is fine with a long stretch here- not sure why???
5:30/6 Dinner w/5-6 oz milkl I really try to get dinner close to 6
6:50 offer milk, which he mostly refuses
7:00 brush teeth

We dropped the bedtime bottle about a month ago...

I offer the milk, but he doesn't take too much.  I had to rearrange the day to get it that way.  I had to go all the way to breakfast to work it out and move breakfast a half hr later.  I think it will take a bit of playing around to find what will work???

Hugs, I know this part is no fun.  It is nice that he isn't drinking as much at bedtime, less full diapers in the morning. 

A side note:  Heath has been boycotting the toothbrush, but it is related to him getting 3 eye teeth in one week.  Perhaps his gums are more sensitive now.  That is what I am deducing for Heath, since he used to love getting his own brush out.  Now he really doesn't like it...  Hopefully the refusal will die down after the teething :-(

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 15:58:04 pm »
Hi Kirry,

I've just got Ethan off bottles but he still has a cup of milk right before bed.  I used to get brushing teeth fighting at bedtime but have kept on and make sure I do before bedtime.  He's stopped fighting me now and accepts that it's going to happen.  I let him brush his teeth in the morning though.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 20:00:21 pm »
thanks gals :-*

where do you both fit bath in?

hrk

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 21:48:57 pm »
With Heath's skin, we only do a bath every other day. 

So bedtime routine starts roughly at 6:50/7.
Offer milk about 6:50/7 in kitchen from cup.  Usually refuses or has a few sips.
Potty
Bath
Diaper and pj
Books in chair until drowsy, can be less than 5 or 20 min depending on the night and if we are early/late in getting things started.
Crib awake with lovies.
Usually takes only a few minutes to drop off to sleep, unless he is ut. 

That is our routine here.  I love the new pic!  What a cutie!

Offline ~Karen~

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:35 am »
Depends on what time I'm putting him to bed but if it's 7pm the usually about 620pm (2 takes much longer to do, lol!) then they have a play on the bed and book and bed.  I don't know how long he's awake for before he goes to sleep as he may chat to himself for a bit but never cries out now so leave him to it!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 20:40:09 pm »
thanks girls :-*

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 20:56:31 pm »
Kirry we are still doing a bottle just before bed.  Like you I am considering the weaning of it, but I have been procrastinating for ages.  I think when we wean it, we'll do a sippy with dinner at 5.30.  The rest will go in the bottle and be given at bedtime.  Eventually when she'll increase the sippy intake I will wean the bottle completely.  Not sure this is the right way to go, sowould appreciate any comments.  I thought I'd do it like that to up keep the milk intake.

xxx
charm

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 21:12:22 pm »
charmie, that's what i started doing when he was 12mths, he was having 8oz in bottle. so started milk in sippy with dinner and whatever left went in bottle. he has been on around 4/5oz at dinner and 3/4oz in bottle for over a month now... teething, colds, etc has prob why i have clung to keeping it at the moment tho...

i think he would get enuf total milk in the day if i dropped it (5 oz in sippy x 3 times, milk in cereal, cheese and yoghurt). guess i'm just scared he cant do the distance til breaky.

i'm trying to find one of those vanity unit thingies (has a sink/mirror) that hooks onto the edge of the bath. he cant reach the sink properly even on a stool so he would be able to stand easily in front of this. hoping that it will make tooth brushing more exciting ::). and then maybe bath, pjs, downstairs for story with mummy and rest of milk in cup, upstairs with daddy to brush teeth, stories, bed? or maybe i should see how he goes without the bottle first and look at that if it doesnt work? decisions decisions.

jean, did you cut out the bottle gradually?

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 21:17:56 pm »
With dd1 I bf'ed until about 14 months and it was the last thing we did every night so I thought it would be a really big deal when we dropped it.  As it turned out, she didn't even seem to notice.  I replaced the feed with a short cuddle in the dark and she went down without a peep - you might find that your lo adapts really easily as well.

As for toothbrushing, I spoke to a dentist friend and he said that until second teeth come in, tooth brushing is about habit and getting flouride into their mouths.  He suggested that it is not that big a deal if they have something to eat/drink after brushing their teeth.  I guess the main thing is to make sure that they are not having loads of sugar/sweets/fizzy drinks anyway.
Cx

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 21:19:11 pm »
Hmmm we were pondering this a while ago - dropping the bedtime bottle, not so much teeth brushing. I've decided to keep it for now as he still takes 8 oz and would take more, but we don't do milk with dinner. I need to check with the childminder how much milk he's getting at snacktimes during the day.

But wasn't really doing a huge deal on teeth brushing just yet either - he "brushes" his own with me in the morning but haven't done it after milk at night for sure. But then I guess we only have 4 (and a bit) teeth still, so maybe not too big a deal?

Kirry, I think I would avoid coming back downstairs as part of bedtime routine - not sure why, I think I think when they'r older its another opportunity to want to stay downstairs..........so we've stuck with once we go up for bath he doesn't come down for any reason.....

H

Clazzat - you posted at the same time as me but that's made me feel better - all I was trying to do was get him used to the toothbrush and the idea of doing it and used to the taste, so he does his when I do mine - now he gets all stroppy if he sees us with toothbrushes and he doesn't have his!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 21:21:56 pm by babymunkey »

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 22:34:39 pm »
We dropped our bedtime bottle ages ago...she weaned herself from bfing at bedtime around 1 yr, but I kept doing a sippy cup of milk til maybe 14 mos (when she weaned entirely) and we just moved the bedtime sippy to dinner.  Our nighttime routine has been the same since:

6pm - dinner (with 4 ozish of milk)
finishes around 6:30, then playtime with daddy
7:15 pm - start bedtime routine - upstairs to potty and bath, brush teeth in bath
7:45pm - into jammies, stories, prayers, sing, into bed
sttn (most of the time)
7:30 am- wake up and 6 oz milk

In terms of milk intake, she gets the 6 oz in the am, 4 oz midday, and 4 oz pm, then she has cheese at lunch and yogurt with breakfast.  We never had trouble with NWs due to hunger, but did for thirst, so she has a sippy cup of water in the crib with her now.
Michelle

hrk

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:30 am »
I cut out the sippy when he started to refuse his child sized regular cup at about 14 mo?  He boycotted using a sippy until he was after 12 mo!  I didn't want him to start doing that to his cup, which I had been offering in the morning with breakfast and he was doing well.  I would put a sip in at a time.  He would hold out the cup for more.  I know it was a kind of knee-jerk reaction, but I didn't want him to start to refuse the cup.  We never looked back at using the sippy but a few times at the restaurants.  I can fill the cup over half full now. 

Saying that, we still used the bottle before bed up to about a month ago.  When we switched dinner to at 6, we stopped offering the bottle before bed.  He had just finished eating about 20 min prior. We just started offering the cup again at 6:50.  Tooth brusing after bath or potty depending what we are doing and how resistant he is, lol. 

Offline vacamex

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 04:03:05 am »
I was just wondering about this today!
With DD I'd like to drop the bedtime bottle but I'm worried she'll have hunger-induced NWs... she usually drinks between 5 - 11oz.
She also has 5oz before her nap around noon. I've tried to get rid of that one, but then her naps are shorter and she ends up OT and hungry. So, I guess we'll keep it for a while.
Any suggestions are more than welcome,
CC
CC

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:26:59 am »
Both my boys went from Dinner at 6pm to breakfast at 7am from about 13 &15mo respectively.. they never had bedtime bottles (actually DS2 never had a bottle) & I dropped the evening BF around that time... I actually found conversly DS2 started sleeping later after he dropped the bedtime, not waking earlier as he consumed more filling (protien rich) food in the day.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 20:35:56 pm »
thanks for all your help ladies, really appreciate it :-*

today i thought i'd see if he'd drink more in the morning and lunch cups, he drank 6oz each time! so tonight i cut 1oz out of bottle (4oz dinner, 3oz bottle). and i'll keep bottle to 3oz max for a couple of nights, then 2oz for a couple of nights and then see how he goes without it.

michelle, i worry about the thirst thing more than hunger. however he cant drink out of non-spill sippies, i keep trying but he just sucks and sucks and gets barely anything out ::) i've always taken the valve out so it was free flowing which was fab for teaching him how to control it and swallow properly and all but now he cant drink out of non-spill ones :(

Offline ~Karen~

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 22:54:59 pm »
Kirry - I'd say Ethan has only really "got" how to use a cup in the last month or so which is why I didn't try and get him off the bottle sooner.  Sure he'll get there soon enough.

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 22:58:31 pm »
Kirry - I'd just keep practicing with the non-spill during the day - Abby never could use it either, but then one day she just "got" it - so  now it's in her crib :)
Michelle

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:54:41 am »
Kirry - we've recently taken to leaving a sippy in his cot over night - but its only water so I figure its not going to be a huge disaster if he spills it - I put it right down the other end away from his head - I figured once he sees it there every morning he might realise to go looking for it if he needed it in the night. IT is a non-spill one without a removable valve, but Mummy did some "adaptations" and stuck a bbq skewer through it to make the hole bigger!

As an aside, it seems to have played a part in his willingness to stay in his cot for a bit after he wakes - this morning it was about 10-15 minutes....I know when he's ready cos I here the sippy cup go flying across the room!

H

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 13:02:14 pm »
michelle, will keep practising!

H - non spill without a valve? all mine have one...what type do you have? is it still non-spill with the extra big hole? (loving the adaptions :P) fab that baby H is staying in his crib a little longer in the morning ;D

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 15:42:36 pm »
Kirry - now I read it back that does sound contradictory  :P

- what I meant was a couple of our "non-spill" sippy's have removable valves, so I guess once you take them out they're not really non-spill anymore, and that's waht we use daytime. The one I use at night didn't have a removable valve, hence the adaptations. But it does still only come out very slowly and over night wouldn't all come out.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 17:11:02 pm »
the whole not being able to drink out of a non spill sippy is driving me nuts, we always take the valve out but every time i go to pick him up from creche they have left the valve in, and i show them how to take it out again ::) fortunately he is only there for around an hour or he'd die of thirst :P

H - what brand is the one you have for night time? the no valve one?

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 18:40:50 pm »
Daytime ones ar the Gerber sippy cup Sherry recommended way back, and the other one is the black and white "cow" cup.....

http://www.amadeusail.co.uk/amadeus-productd.html

Both of these had removable valves so we took them out. Our view was if he was going to have valves in he might as well still have bottles - it wasn't moving him on any really. So personally I wouldn't stress about teaching him.......but annoying re your nursery not getting the message - ggggrrrrrrrg

The one we use at night is a cheapy from Asda where the valve doesn't come out that I doctored.......

HTH!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 19:44:13 pm »
thanks H, that's why we took the valves out too so that he can learn to deal with the flow properly and then be able to cope better with a 'real' cup later on, and yeah totally didnt see the point of stopping bottles otherwise. also read some stuff about it hindering their speech development if they only 'suck' drinks and this info recommend free flowing too. i think we did the right thing, it's just a pain in the butt now at creche and at night i guess ::)

Offline charmie

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 19:54:19 pm »
We accidentally weaned the bedtime bottle last night.  We had to go pick my mum from the airport so we did milk with dinner in a sippy and when we got home just put her straight to bed.  So I did the same today, and hopefully we won't look back.  I was sick of washing teats  :P 

xxx
charm

hrk

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 22:04:09 pm »
Fingers crossed Charm; that is what we did when we had that late dinner.  It was really a mixed feeling; now instead of bottle cuddling I have after nap cuddling when he is still dreamy.  I miss it, even though it vexed us for so long, lol.

Offline charmie

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 12:50:01 pm »
Thanks Jean.  We didn't have a good night and DH is blaming it on the bottle  :-\  But I don't think so.  It's such a bummer I cannot do bedtime myself  :(  But today we're going the same route again so Cross fingers again please  ;)

xxx
charm

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 13:16:37 pm »
charmie, what time are you doing dinner?

Offline charmie

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 13:19:05 pm »
5.30pm

xxx
charm

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 13:27:37 pm »
any chance you could nudge it a little later with a big snack in the arvo?  hope she goes well, will encourage me to give it a go :P

Offline charmie

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 14:02:29 pm »
I do it at 5.30 because we were doing 7pm bedtime.  But you have a point, and with the pushing back of nap and bedtime will definitely be a good idea to do dinner a bit later.  Thanks for the suggestion.

xxx
charm

Offline clazzat

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 18:47:14 pm »
Just to say that when we dropped the final feed at about 14 months, my lo had no problem at all going from supper at 5pm to breakfast at 7/7.30.
Cx

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 20:01:58 pm »
thanks clazzat, appreciate it. so nice to hear from someone who has been there :-*

what do you do if they dont drink their milk with dinner? hunter refused milk with dinner tonight, rare but i guess it will happen occasionally. stuck with 3oz in bottle but what do you do if there's no bottle, offer milk again later, or so be it??

Offline clazzat

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 20:09:06 pm »
When I stopped bf'ing, Milena all but stopped drinking milk.  I came to the conclusion that there was no point in forcing the issue, and I just make sure that she gets plenty of other dairy products - cheese and yoghurt mainly.  I found that cheese sauce was a real lifesaver - you can add it to just about anything and it means that they are getting milk.  She also eats loads of spinach, which is high in calcium, and if you are worried then white bread has a reasonable amount as well.

Nowadays she tends to go through periods of drinking milk everyday and then won't drink any for a couple of weeks.  I'm a great believer in children choosing what they need as long as the right stuff is offered on a regular basis.
Cx

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:10 am »
what do you do if they dont drink their milk with dinner? hunter refused milk with dinner tonight, rare but i guess it will happen occasionally. stuck with 3oz in bottle but what do you do if there's no bottle, offer milk again later, or so be it??

by the time they are toddlers (which after 1yo they are) it is better to look at food across a whole week rather from day to day, as by 18mo/2yo if you stress about daily intake you will be worrying every day as some days toddlers seem to live on fresh air.... others if it isn't nailed down they will eat it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 21:11:00 pm »
Kate, thankyou! i really do need to start doing that. today he ate 2 bites of his sandwich, i was worried he would wake early from his nap hungry, nope did 2.5hrs, then ate a truck load straight after it (veggie omelette, pear, yoghurt, signed for more - gingerbread man, signed for more - jelly :o :o :o) guess he know what he's doing ;)

Offline charmie

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 13:51:50 pm »
My my!! That was a lot of food for little Hunter  ;D ;D

Just wanted to let you know K is doing very well without the bedtime bottle.  I give her a sippy at 6ish while she watches In The Night Garden and normally she has all of it.  But if she doesn't have much I offer it to her again before the bath.

xxx
charm