Author Topic: One year old "picky eater"  (Read 782 times)

Offline Wink's Marmy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Silly girl
One year old "picky eater"
« on: November 15, 2007, 00:12:44 am »
So DD is about to be 1. She is still BF and we JUST went to 3 X per day (morning & night with one mid-day). She doesn't like cow's milk, so to substitute the recently dropped am BF, I mixed some whole milk with drinkable yogurt. She likes it OK.

Here is the issue - she just isn't a good eater. At 6 months when I started giving her food, she hated it. It was only when she started finger foods (at 7.5 months) that she started to really eat. Her grip wasn't good, but we did some of the BLW and she got what she could get in. At that point, she refused the spoon and has just started recently to let me feed her with a spoon again. Though tonight, she did it by herself and chuckled the entire time and ate SO MUCH shells & cheese!

So like I said, not a good eater - currently won't eat ANY veggies and never really has. Won't eat fruit either. Will only *maybe* eat a few bites of banana before tossing it on the floor. She likes any bread, cheese, yogurt, eggs, shells & cheese. Won't eat meat either. This has been going on for a month or longer, but has never really liked fruits or veggies. Am I just supposed to let her get on with just bread & cheese?

I try every day to give her fruit & veggies. I give them to her with butter, with flavor, frozen, just plain. She won't have them. I try to sneak them into things, but she has an excellent detector for the slightest inconsistency in texture. She  sucks on stuff sometimes, but then spits it out. Its driving me CRAZY!!!!

Help!

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 15:33:30 pm »
my ds is also a very picky eater, he is almost 13 months ( on the 24th)  He won't eat pasta, rice, real veggies, real fruit besides bananas,cheese and so on.  he could live off yougart, bread,and cereal.  i try every week to into something he refuses to eat for 2 days in a row so he becomes familiar with it but all he will do is squish it in his plate, on't put it near his mouth or let us.  He loves milk, no issues on that and we are transituating to the sippy, so his intake is low right now.  HE gets only a bottle at night before bed and in dec we will tackle that one too.  He will drink water and juice in a sippy no problem but milk is slow going.  I have no idea how to get him to eat more variety either.  since he loves toast somuch i try putting cheese on it, jam, but will only eat it with butter.  I tried cheese on pasta and butter, no difference.

Offline grantsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: One year old "picky eater"
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 15:43:22 pm »
I too thought my DS was a picky eater. At his 1 yr old appt, I told the doctor this. He asked how much milk was he taking. I said 32-36 oz. He said that was too much and to cut back on his intake. I cut down to 3 bottles a day and offering food first at lunch and dinner (I had been always giving a bottle first). In the last month, his food intake has really taken off. My DH and I are were so amazed. It did take a month though. At first, he would only eat the pureed food, bread/crackers etc. Now he is eating feeding himself fruits, veggies, and meat. I found it helped to cover the fruit in wheatgerm to make it easier to pick up. Now I worry is he eating enough now that he likes to feed himself.

Offline lin7604

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 21:47:52 pm »
good for you!  My ds gets milk in a cup when he wakes and that varies each day to ow much he drinks.  Sometimes onnly 2oz sometimes 7oz.  I offer juice, water  in a cup all day then at lunch i offer milk again, even chocolate milk, again he will drink only a few oz's and bedtime is a steady 8oz each night as it's still in a bottle!  SO i know he's not drinking too much milk, i worry sometimes that he's not drinking enough milk.  I always offer food first at lunch then a cup of milk to wash it down but i still find that he is just plain old picky with what he eats daily!  Today all he would do is throw it on the floor, the only thing i got into him was cottage cheese.