Author Topic: What did your toddler eat today?  (Read 177688 times)

Offline gcmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: What did your toddler eat today?
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2006, 21:02:35 pm »
One yummy thing we do that is easy for breakfast and encouarages more fruit is frozen waffles (popped in the toaster) and then spread with pureed strawberries or apricots.  My DS loves waffle bites with fruit on them.  Anyone have suggestions on alternatives to the lunch menu?  What has worked for your kiddo?

Offline Jenn©

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2006, 01:22:42 am »
Today DD had a grilled soy butter and banana sandwich cut into bites.  Too young for peanut butter.  She ate all but the crusts.  Love the waffle idea!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline pixieme

• Showing Appreciation 46
  • Devon, U.K.
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2006, 15:47:40 pm »
I always have trouble thinking of something to give ds for lunch.

Breakfast is either some sort of sugar free cereal, toast, croissant, bread.

Dinner will be a little of what we have, usually some sort of meat with either potatoes, rice, pasta or noodles.  I try and get in as many veggies as possible then.

Snack he will have bananas, apples or sometimes cheerios.

But my mind goes blank for lunch.  He won't eat sandwiches of any description  and doesn't like ham or pork either.
Debs

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2006, 19:28:21 pm »
Hi Debs,
What about cold cuts as in turkey, salami, mortadella? dd loves these. Also toasted sambos ( made in sandwich maker), she likes tomato and cheese, tuna and mayo, and cheese and ham though you could try turkey. Also mini pizzas, quiche, piece of oven baked fish, fish fingers, sausages, do a savoury croissant even, french toast, pancakes, omlette............ too bad my dd wont eat most of these things  ::) Oh and there is always "crunchy bread" which my dd loves and crackers and cream cheese, always followed by yogurt and fruit in our house

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2006, 15:56:54 pm »
I made dd a Boca Burger (veggie burger) with a slice of cheese on top and pulled apart for her in small portions and she absolutely loved it!  Wasn't quite sure if she would eat it or not. 

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2006, 17:16:20 pm »
I made dd a Boca Burger (veggie burger) with a slice of cheese on top and pulled apart for her in small portions and she absolutely loved it!  Wasn't quite sure if she would eat it or not. 

Aleisha
How did you make that ?
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2006, 18:19:29 pm »
Lauren, I'm pretty sure that Boca Burger is a brand you can buy in the store.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mari

• Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
Sheila, carbs are a certainty around here.  Fruit is good, but veggies are hit or miss.  I still put them on her plate whenever they are served, though, but I don't force them.

Kelsey is 18 mos today:
Breakfast:  waffle with sugar free syrup, milk
snack:  cherrios, watered-down juice
lunch:  1/2 ham and cheese sandwich, slice of pear, slice of peach, milk
snack:  cherrios (I only give a tiny bit here or she won't eat much dinner), watered-down juice
dinner:  lasagna---loves, loves, loves it, milk
bedtime:  milk, 1/2-whole graham cracker usually
Heather, I notice that you give milk with all her meals, and Kelsey is nearly the same age as Alex, How much do you give her, Alex loves her milk, but I worry that she won't have enough to eat if I give her too much milk.  Do you give it to her in a cup or bottle etc.  Her eating is not bad, but due to a bad teething bout she is not as good as she used to be, so perhaps giving a little more milk through the day might help.  She currently drinks a whole bottle in the morning after breakfast and a bottle at bedtime. (sometimes through the night if she is having a really bad time settling.  She doesn't drink it so well from a cup though, she loves her bottle and to be quite honest, I have no worries about that, I'm not eager to stop a bottle, she uses a cup ok for her water, so it's not like she can't use one. 

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2006, 11:03:19 am »
Hi Lauren

Yes, they are the kind you buy in the store.  They are just a certain brand of veggie burgers.  There are others as well.  One other I can think of is Morningstar.

Offline mari

« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2006, 11:14:36 am »
sorry about previous post, Heather. I am not much good with quotes!

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2006, 14:10:17 pm »
Mari, Kelsey used a sippy cup for her drinks.  I usually pour 3-4 oz at each meal, as that's about all she'll drink.  She doesn't get the recommended 16 oz per day, but she does have other dairy products, so I'm not worried.  I offer milk post meal if she's still thirsty, but then usually give her half-strength juice while she plays and with snacks.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mum2isabella

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2006, 21:37:23 pm »
Breakfast: Cheese spread on toast & a banana. lunch: sausages, corn on the cob, cucumber & tomatoes. Dinner: Spaghetti bolognaise, a nectarine. Snacks: grapes and a chocolate chip cooke & 2 beakers of milk
Isabella Grace born 17th April 2005 - spirited
Samuel Oliver born 22nd July 2006 - textbook/touchy

Offline MrsKirky

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • Aidan dressed as a Sheriff for Halloween
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2006, 14:53:59 pm »
Yesterday was an odd day, as we were gone all day long since family came from out of town.

Breakfast - milk and nutrigrain bar

lunch - taquitos, refried beans, and chicken enchilada casserole

dinner - chicken and beans

snacks - right now we are usually refusing veggies, except for freeze-dried corn and peas and tomatoes.  (I just found these at the Henry's market - they are rather expensive, but I figured it was worth a try).  He also eats the kids organic pack snacks - oatmeal cookies, cheese ducky shaped crackers, and lemon vanilla cookies.  He LOVES the vegetable beech nut toddler crackers. 

Usual breakfast is Barbara's Spoonfuls cereal - a lot like "Life" cereal, except more whole grain and either a fruit serving (Peaches, mandarin oranges - his favorite!, berries, bananas, or a steamed apple - peel, cube and steam in micro (covered) for about a minute...it makes the apple a lot sweeter and softer to eat) and milk.
We also make smoothies - which he thinks is a treat.  YoBaby yogurt (whole milk yogurt) with a *little* milk and sometimes some fruit in the blender.
He is hit and miss with eggs, but will always eat cheese, and likes banana bread - made with less sugar and oil and no nuts.  When we are in a hurry, it's fruit bars for breakfast.

Lunch, soup or sandwiches or pasta dish.  Sometimes fruit and bread and cheese.  Sometimes a smoothie. 

Dinner - we try to get him to eat what we eat...chicken, beef, ham, pizza, pasta.  The sushi didn't go over so well last week - he didn't care for the crab or the seaweed.  The avocado was green, so he spit it right out. 
Right now, we are eating a lot of dinners from "Dream Dinners" - just one of the companies where you got and put the dinners together in freezer bags or containers.  They give you all the main dish and usually side dish ingredients and you cook at home.  I was running out of ideas for meals, too!  There are many companies who do this all over the US - all have a different name, but they are about the same price and the same concept.  A few of the places will even let you pay a bit more to put the meals together for you - you just pay and pick them up.  Some companies even have ready-made meals you can drop-in and pick up.  This is not a plug for any particular company - just a convenient and healthy dinner option I wanted to present.  We had 24 meals for about $200 last month...as a working mom (3 days a week), it was a big help to me. 

I loved reading all your ideas and got several of my own....I know I'll keep checking when I run out of inspiration!
(Krista) Aidan-2/9/2005. Touchy.Gravida 5 Para 1 and proud of the LO for hanging on tight!

Offline gcmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2006, 22:11:27 pm »
Luvin' the smoothie idea, why didn't I think of that?!?!  :D  Some were saying needing help with veggies - the gerber veggie crackers are great and we found that our son loves the soup vegetables....yea, veggies from a can of soup...get that!  Oh, also I made squash the other night and he loved it because it had a bit of teriyaki glaze on it!

Offline mari

« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2006, 18:49:00 pm »
Right, just been to a birthday party and they ate loads of junk (as they do) so they needed something quick but half decent so I chucked together :- Pasta, chopped courgette,chopped onion, blanched and chopped tomato, ham and boiled them together until pasta was soft, then added a vegetable stock cube and left to simmer for a couple of minutes, then drained the water and served.  They both really enjoyed it!  I never experiment with food but I needed something quick so that's what I did. simple, I just threw together what I had and it made a nice little meal and at least I feel that they have had something tidy after all the sweets, cakes and chocolates, and that's before they get to the party bag. (I swoop that away from them when they are not looking and keep them in a box in the top cupboard and give them as treats as and when!)