Author Topic: A time when baby is OT  (Read 780 times)

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
A time when baby is OT
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »
Hi - my DD is 23 weeks and having some disturbed nights and some short naps in the day.  Am I right to reduce her A times a bit so that she compensates for being OT or am I setting up a cycle of short naps?  Her A time when she's well rested is 2 1/2 hrs max. - been putting her down after 2 hrs if she seems really tired.  Usually her first nap of the day is best at 1 1/2 hrs long then the next tends to go wrong (also in 2:1 transition at moment).  Reason for night disturbance is I'm using PU PD to help drop habitual night feed.  Any guidance would be great  :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: A time when baby is OT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 20:06:43 pm »
Hi, I just posted on your EASY thread too :)

If LO is overtired then temporarily allowing some slightly shorter A times can be a good way of allowing them to catch up on some sleep.  However, you are reaching an age where the 3-2 nap transition tends to begin and that can get quite complicated quite quickly with lots of Mums falling into an UT/OT trap (been there and done it!!).  By that I mean LO starts having short naps because they need a bit more A time, but ends up OT because of the short naps.  Mum shortens A time because of OT, leading to more UT short naps and the cycle continues.

I can probably help you more if you post a recent day or two in EAS format?

The other thing you mention - using PUPD to get rid of a night feed - I realise now this may have implications for your post on EASY about frequent feeds in the evening.  How many night feeds does your LO currently have and do you do a dream feed?

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:55:45 am »
Hi - thank you for your reply to both my posts.  Being able to stretch her to 4 hour gaps for feeds is a recent thing over the last 10 days. I started it because I hoped it would help with night waking and she seems able to do it up to the 15.00 feed but then almost wants to cluster feed after that.  She used to be a snacker so I don't want her to go back to bad habits!  However, yesterday went better as I gave her some solids at 17.00 and held off the bottle till 18.00 so maybe this is the answer?  Yesterday was a good day for naps and it went like this

6.20 awake (also awake 3.45-415 and for short time at 5.00)
E. 6.30 260ml
S 8:40-10.10
E 11.00 210ml
S 12.15-13.50
E 15.00 210ml
S 16.20-17.00
E Solids 17.00
 E 18.00 210ml
S bedtime 18.45 asleep 19.05
DF 22.00 60ml ( never takes much at DF)
Night waking is usually around 1.30 or 2.00 and in the past would be a feed.  I reduced it gradually to 60ml and for first time gave nothing last night and it only took 15 mins of PU PD to settle her so really pleased with that.  She woke again at 4.50 and did PU PD once but took her till 5.15 to go to sleep again.  She then woke at 6.15 and I fed her at 6.30.  She seemed tired this morning and went down for nap at 8.35.

On a recent bad nap day her EASY looks like

Wake 6.45
E 7.00
S 9.10-10.40
E 11.30
S 12.35-13.00 in car then work and wouldn't go back to sleep
E 15.00 (tried putting her down for nap at 14.30 but maybe hungry so no go)
E 17.00
S bedtime early at 17.45 asleep 18.00
Woke hungry at 21.20

I formula feed and don't use a paci as we weaned this before Xmas as it had become a sleep prop.  Thanks in advance for your help - in particular I want to avoid the UT OT cycle for naps as I think these are more of a potential problem than the feed times.  She used to be a 40 min catnapper for a long time and has only improved in the last month or so but still wakes sometimes between cycles.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 13:23:13 pm »
Sorry I haven't been back to you before now - how are things going?

Your days look pretty good to be honest, you're getting a good first nap on around 2h20-30 A time which is great :). Don't worry about the bad nap days - it always throws things off if LO falls asleep in the car and you did completely the right thing with early bedtime.  I would have done the same.

I think the key around this age is just to be aware that A times can take quite a big jump so be on the lookout for short naps, increased NWs or EWs (different LOs will react differently).  This link is pretty useful - All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months :)