Author Topic: 5am Rise and Shine!  (Read 816 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
5am Rise and Shine!
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:12:28 am »
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get baby to wake up LATER?
I had just moved his BT to 8pm so that he would get up around 7am (seems to generally only sleep 10-11 hrs at night).
But now with the time change he's decided that getting up at 5am is a good time to start the day.

This morning, I rocked him for a while, nursed him in total darkness, and offered to snuggle in my bed. Nothing helped. He's 8.5 mo old, gets 4hr A time and sleeps about 2.5-3hrs during the day.

5am is maddening. Even worse because I look at my husband blissfully snoring his way through the early wake up and I get sooooo frustrated. :)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 5am Rise and Shine!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:35:47 am »
5am WU's suck, I agree!  Has this just been since the time change?  How long has this been going on?  I should tell you that a later bedtime seldom guarantees a later WU.  All you usually get is a tired baby.  You could try capping one or both of his naps so he only has 2 hrs of daytime sleep.  This would encourage him to make up the lost hour at night.  Might that be an option?
If it makes you feel any better, DH used to also sleep through the early WU's until I started sobbing at the breakfast table from exhaustion.  Needless to say, he felt pretty bad, even though I didn't blame him.  Now he ALWAYS wakes up if DS squawks in the middle of the night, even if he doesn't need to get up.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 5am Rise and Shine!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:20 am »
Now he ALWAYS wakes up if DS squawks in the middle of the night
Aw, good DH!
My LO has adjusted and is now doing 6am WU. However, yesterday, he slept 2.5hrs in naps and today, he woke up at 7:20am! Yaaaay!
I'll stick with the 8pm bedtime and see if he keeps this 7am WU up.
As to capping his naps, that's a good idea. However, he rarely ever sleeps past 45min/60min on his second nap and then wakes up crying, rubbing his eyes, and won't be pleasant until he's had his milk. I give him a snack before his nap, so I don't think he's hungry.
Yesterday, he slept 1.5hr (2nd nap) and was all smiles when he woke up. He has also stopped doing that glorious 2hr nap in the morning too. Its usually 1hr (sometimes up to 1.5hr) now.
I guess he's transitioning to a new sleep pattern? I so loved his old one..... ;)