Author Topic: Teething issues impacting naps  (Read 618 times)

Offline Pinkhippo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum of Zoe and Arlo
Teething issues impacting naps
« on: November 10, 2014, 14:45:42 pm »
Hello there,
My LO is 8months and recently we have both been sick with a cold/flu. Simultaneously, my LO seems to be cutting some new teeth and my husband is away on a work trip.  Oh, I should add that just before the cold started we phased out the DF.

Presently, I fear that I have fallen off the BW wagon... and I think I need some good counsel to get me back on.  Before all these events my LO was taking 2 naps a day, averaging 1.5hours per nap, she was able to fall asleep independantly.
Recently, she has gone from being able to fall asleep herself to being fed to sleep by me.  I confess, I have not quite recovered from being sick, and with the pre-dawn wake ups and my husband being absent.. I have been too tired to persevere. 

I should mention that my LO is getting 3 solid meals a day, during her A times (and this is not shown in the schedule I posted below). Also, I give her tylenol 30 min. pre- nap, as I feel she is uncomfortable due to the teeting.
Here is what our schedule looks like:
WU: 5:10am
E: 5:15am
A: 8:15-8:20
S: 8:30-8:35 (place LO ipn bed, allow to cry 10min while attempting to verbally sooth, then try a PU, if this does not serve to sooth, I feed her to sleep).
E:9:45-10
A:1-1:120
S: 1:30-2:30 or 3pm (usually falls asleep in car after actiity period here)
A: 3:15
E: 5:45-6pm
Bedtime routine: in bed by 6:15 (allow to cry 10 min again wiht verbal soothing, if to no avail, feed her to sleep)

Then she sleeps throught the night, which is lovely!

Please tell me what modifications I should make, to get back on track-- as I so desperately want to. Thank you!
Go boldly in the direction of your dreams
Live the life you've imagined~Thoreau

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 19:58:57 pm »
Everything does always happen at once, doesn't it?!  ((hugs)) for tackling it all alone!

If you feel she's still having some discomfort from teething, then I would say all bets are off for any sleep training, because you're not going to know whether sleep disturbance is due to discomfort or for routine or other reasons.  Also, if you're not feeling well, I would do what is easy for now.

More generally, I would suggest trying to gently undo the feeding to sleep prop.  If you feel you need to you can feed a bit before sleep, but try to make sure she doesn't fall asleep on the breast, and then put her to bed.

Her first nap of the day looks to me like it's 1hr 10-15 mins, which is a good stretch at this age.  I wouldn't worry too much about the length.  But I would try to get that nap later in the morning to try to get the WU later too (unless 5am is a good time for you...?).  Start by moving it 15 mins every three days, the three days are intended to let LO adjust to the change.  That would maybe move her whole day a bit later.  Overall, if she is STTN, then that usually indicates an overall good balance of sleep, so in fact maybe it's not as bad as you think ;)

If you feel the feeding to sleep prop is a major issue, I can move your thread over to props.  But I'm not sure you're far enough off track to move to Getting Back on Track.  Here's a link to that board just in case:
Getting Back on Track
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.