Author Topic: Bottle rejection? Or?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Jen114

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Bottle rejection? Or?
« on: November 12, 2010, 22:36:28 pm »
Hey girls I hope you can help me? I basically am exclusively breast feeding barring the one bottle of ebm ay 1030pm the situation turlough the last three nights my little man after only drinking 50mls pushes bottle out with tounge and then hats it he wont take any more. I try for almost an hour on and off as I know if I cam get the milk down him then he will sleep longer in the night. He is 9 weeks old and is pritty much sleeping from 11-6 which is great then he moans for for 2 mins and gets up at 7.

Am i dealing with bottle rejection? As then after trying bottle for about 40 mins I give him the breast and he drinks with no trouble at all!!! What should I do? The only reason giving bottle as need flexibility if I need to go out. Please help! X

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Bottle rejection? Or?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:38:39 am »
Might be a timing issue moreso than the bottle.

I would try starting the feed 30 mins later when your LO is in a different sleep phase to see if they accept the bottle.

I would also offer an awake bottle feed from time to time as well if mixed breast and bottle is something you want. They can be real monkeys about bottles if they don't remain familiar with them.

Offline Jen114

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:08:30 am »
I guess last night he just wasn't hungry he had 50ml and slept straight to 6 with out moaning:) but I still find it strange that he drinks breast no problem.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 13:40:00 pm »
He may BF for comfort regardless of whether he is hungry or not.

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 15:30:51 pm »
I think I have bottle rejection happening... DS is only 2 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. He will allow my husband to put a bottle in his mouth (he won't take it at all from me) but he refuses to suck. However, if I pick him up he latches eagerly so I know it's not that he doesn't want to eat. Any advice? My husband would like to have a part in feeding him, and I would like my future to hold an occasional night out!
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline lulunut

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 13:59:02 pm »
I can't help with the bottle transition as both of my lo's wouldn't take the bottle until 9mts!  I can tell you that I did experience different results between my husband and I.  I find that the LO's can smell you and know that you have breast milk.  Why take the bottle when they can have the real thing?!!