Author Topic: 6 1/2 week old with daytime nap struggles  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 1/2 week old with daytime nap struggles
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:58:57 am »
Where do I begin! DS3 is only 6 1/2 weeks old and already I've let him develop some bad habits. About 2 weeks ago he would fall asleep eating, or finish falling asleep on my chest. Then it started to take longer for him to fall asleep nursing, partly from being interuppted by siblings or gas problems and being overtired led to 45min naps. Now this week he started waking up as soon as I'd swaddle him, or 5 mins after being put in bed. If I want him to have a good nap he needs to sleep on me for an hour before I can swaddle him and put him in bed. I can't let him do that and look after my other boys who are 3 & 5.

So this weekend with DH help we started trying to break these habits. Our first day has been as expected bad!
This is how today went.
6:35 WU
E 6:40-7:10
S 8:30-9 DH did this nap. He tried pat/shh in bed swaddled, then gave up and picked him up and that is when he slept.
E 9:05-9:40
11-11:30 DH again, same thing slept when held.
E 11:40-12:00
S 12:20-1:45 I did this nap. He feel asleep eating, woke when I burped him. Held him for few minutes then swaddled him and did pat/shh in bed.
E 1:55-2:30
S 3:45-4:10 This was in bed again with pat/shh, but couldn't get him to stay asleep.
E 4:15-4:50
S never happened. In bed @ 5pm, almost had him asleep many times but he always shook it off after 5mins.
Bath 6pm
E 6:20-8:10.
8:15 I put him in bed because he didn't want to eat and I needed a break. Swaddled him and left him.
S 8:35 which the little turd put himself to sleep! (so far anyways)

I guess I just want to make sure we're on the right track. Part of me thinks he's still so little and I feel like we're being mean by doing this to him, while the other part knows we can't keep going the way we are. My older boys get no attention and hardly see me because I spend my whole day trying to get DS3 asleep.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 6 1/2 week old with daytime nap struggles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 15:14:05 pm »
Hi, 6 1/2 weeks is still very little so I wouldn't worry about bad habits at this age really just do what you can to get thorough the day.
Will LO sleep in a swing chair or bouncer so you could do 1 nap that way?
Maybe try bringing the first A time back a bit as might be a touch OT on a 2 hour A
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!
After a 30 min nap your A time was even longer so that might not be helping the next nap if you get what I mean, the OT might be hindering LO settling.
hugs hun sounds tiring x
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 15:39:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply. No he won't sleep on either a swing or bouncer, he is a very alert baby and watches everything going on. Just to clarfy, the times between E & S that I posted were spent trying to get him asleep, so it wasn't A that we were doing outside him room. After the 30min naps he fell asleep eating, woke when burped, then swaddled and into bed to try and nap. From sleep cues that I have seen he's between 1hr and 1:15 I think. But I rarely have him asleep by then with either big brother interruptions, or gas, so he's always OT. The having to sleep on me is the biggest problem, since it means I can't be there for my other boys. We 're trying hot water bottle again to see if that will help. At our NF I can feed him, burp, swaddle in bed and he drifts off to sleep, but I never have any luck at daytime naps. He kind of confuses me!

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 16:08:56 pm »
Another question! At what age does nursing to sleep or only sleeping when held become a habit?!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 18:08:30 pm »
Ah sorry I thought those were your A times. What about a sling if LO likes sleeping on you?
Personally I started sleep training around 10/12 weeks old I've added a link for you that has loads of useful threads in it some might help.
Sleep Training  - the early days
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 18:22:05 pm »
Okay, thanks for the link, I will do some reading!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 19:23:10 pm »
Keep us posted  :)
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 15:42:26 pm »
Hi again! Quick question, if LO does the 10 minute jolt, but wakes fully with eyes open, squirming and fussing for 2 minutes do I restart a 20 minute cycle of is that just part of first 20minutes?
Example
S-10:07
Jolt- 10:17
S-10:19
So is 10:17 still his 20minute sleep cycle?
Thanks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 17:22:09 pm »
If he goes back off quickly I would class it as first cycle still I guess.
How long did nap end up being?
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 18:01:59 pm »
1 hour, 11:07! So I guess it first cycle! :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 19:17:10 pm »
Good work  :) it will get better, I'm sure for us naps got a lot more consistant after 6 months!! x
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 16:14:23 pm »
When and how is the best way to ease back on pat/shh? Wednesday will be 1 week since I've had DS3 going to sleep in his bed with pat/shh. I know that it shouldn't become a prop, but it did with DS2, so I wonder if I did it for too long with him and don't want it to happen with DS3! :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 19:35:55 pm »
You could try just keeping hand still rather than patting!! I eventually got just saying things like have lovely sleeps while patting, then just keep hand still or next to LO on cot mattress. My DS just liked my hand in his leg until his eyes were getting very droopy x
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 19:33:04 pm »
What am I doing wrong?! I've been ST my LO for 3 weeks using pat/shh and don't seem to be making any progress. He still cries when I put him in bed and the patting on his bum has become a prop. I've been trying to lessen the patting but not having much luck. He will be 3 months old in 1 week.
Here's the past couple days.
21st
NF-3:10-4am
EW- 5:20am-pat/shh to get him back to sleep, did it on&off till 5:45ish
WU-6:40am
E-6:50-7:15
A-total of 1.5hrs
S-8:20-9am
E-9:15-9:30
A-total of 1.5hrs
S-10:30-11:10 woke up pat/shh. 11:12-12:05
E-12:10-12:30
A-total 1hr 25mins
S-1:30-2:15
E-2:20-2:50
A-2hrs
S-4:15-4:50- The previous nap he fussed during WD so I thought I would try a longer A even though he's at the top end of it for his age. I was aiming for an A time of 1hr 40mins, it didn't work! Tried for 25mins in bed doing pat/shh, in the end I had to pick him up and hold him for the 30mins to get him to sleep, he slept an additional 5mins after I laid him in bed.
E-4:50-5:15
A
Bath 6:20
Bedtime E- 6:30-7:20-he eats and sleeps during this time and is usually asleep or very drowsy when I put him in bed.

22nd

NF-3:10-4am - woke up when I put him down and he put himself back to sleep
EW-5:55am- pat/shh on & off till 6:25.
WU- 7:05am
E-7:10-7:40
A- total of 1.5hrs
S-8:35-9:25am
E-9:40-10am
A-total 1hr 35mins
S-11am-11:20, 11:25-12:05
E-12:10-12:30
A- 1 hr 25mins
S-1:30-still sleeping at moment

It doesn't seem to matter how much A he's had he cries before he goes to sleep and it's not a manta cry, it's a hard "I'm annoyed with you cry!" I'm at a loss! I thought he would be pretty much an independent sleeper by now, but it really doesn't feel like he will ever be! I've read the pat/shh thread and I know it can take a while, but I just don't see any improvement and I'm finding it really hard not to get frustrated with him. Any ideas or advice????

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 20:48:41 pm »
Hugs hun your not doing anything wrong it's a tricky age for naps. Try not to get too stressed or upset about it as sometimes it's just how it is for now.
Do you think he could've got a bit OT and maybe take 10 mins off A time to see if you get a longer nap? I wouldn't hesitate at doing a bit of rocking or holding to sleep on the odd day if you think he's getting past settling alone. Or does he have any discomfort like gas or reflux,?
Some babies take a good while to be an independant sleeper and it can come and go, you just have to be as consistant as you can be but also if the nap is short then sometimes you just have to move on with your day, pop him in the pram and go for a walk in the fresh air.
How are your nights? x
Zoe

Offline Can_Kiwikidz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 21:47:26 pm »
I have tried shortening A and he cries until the 1hr 30 min mark and usually settles and goes to sleep. He usually shows sleep cues at the 1hr 15min, so tomorrow I will try to have him in bed closer to that and see what happens. His nights are good again going from 7:30-3ish, but then he wakes 1hr after being put back in bed. He does get gas but he's not waking up with his gas pain scream. And I would love to go for walks but the little monkey hates being in his car seat or stroller!!! Just likes to keep me on my toes I guess. Thanks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 06:09:39 am »
My DS didn't like his pushchair until I had it more uptight so he could see....nosey monkey. Maybe try following sleep cues for a few days rather than A times and catch that first yawn, eye rub!! It does get better honestly x
Zoe