Author Topic: baby not wanting to eat in the hot weather  (Read 3295 times)

Offline lauraj79

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
baby not wanting to eat in the hot weather
« on: July 20, 2006, 15:17:30 pm »
hiya
charlie is 6 and a half mths and was weaned onto solids at 5 mths on hv`s advise.(reflux). he was thriving till the heatwave here in the UK hit us. our babies are not used to this excessive heat, and although he isnt too grumpy and is sleeping fine he is def off his food. today i offered lunch (his fave recipe) but he only had 3 tsps, he usually has 3 TABLESPOONS!  He is drinking plenty of fluid, having 4 x bottles milk a day (was having 3) and diluted juice inbetween. is this ok? or am i getting into a bad routine and taking 2 steps back? he sleeps through night and naps well in day (still has 3 naps, two long ones)
thanx, laura

Offline mumtobrandon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: baby not wanting to eat in the hot weather
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 03:17:08 am »
Well my lo was born in the summer and he is now eight months old when he was younger he use to not drink a lot of his milk during summer and I was told by the midwive that heat can cause them to get dehydrated and it is important you try and feed them water in between feeds. He was younger during the summer so he wasn't quite on solids at that time but as long as your lo is drinking well as you said I think there is no need for concern sometimes they just go off their food slightly when it is hot and also when you give them different solids they start to refuse it one day and like it the next. I hope this helps.

Offline ErinGP

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:36:07 am »
My son is going through the same thing as it is also very hot in Canada. He doesn't like juice and will only drink a limited amount of water so I've been trying to bf more, but he is only eating about half the solids he was before. The same thing happened a few weeks ago when there was another heat wave and he went back to normal once the temperature was more comfortable. Hopefully the same thing will hapen for your ds!

Offline jer-76

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 13:22:32 pm »
Yep, me too. We were away, she would hardly eat a thing. I cheated,  if she only had a little of her between-meal-milk,I topped her up when she was asleep. I don,t mind if she leaves the solids, as long as she has her milk. I haven,t topped her up with water ever. She always "goes" & it is always clear in colour.