Author Topic: Please help! 13 mo. Routine out the window! EW no naps...  (Read 877 times)

Offline Khadija

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help! 13 mo. Routine out the window! EW no naps...
« on: July 16, 2014, 13:16:16 pm »
DS is almost 13 months and he's routine is suddenly fallen apart.

Till recently this worked really well.
Wu 7.30
Nap 10.00-10.45
Nap 1.45-3.15
Bt 8.45

Then the last few days have just been a big mess. We are currently in Barbados, DHs grandad isn't very well. So we had to do some last minute travelling. He did really well with the time change and travelling. Then he started having early wakings for a few days at 5.30am so i started extending the a time thinking it was that. But then realised it was habitual to we started to w2s.

That was a few days ago and since then its been all over the place. The last three days have been:
Wu 6.00
Nap 10.00-12.30
Bt pd 5.00, wouldn't sleep than started to cry. Finally after lots of help/feed/patting  :-\ fell asleep at 6.45

Wu 6.30
Nap 10.15-11.15
Nap 2.45-3.45
Bt 7.15

Yesterday
Wu 6.30
Refuse nap at 10 awake at 11. I fed him, then with help after loads of tears :( fell asleep at 12. Slept till 1
Pd for nap at 4, refused so decided on a ebt at 5.30
Didn't sleep until 8.00  :o

Today so far
Wu 5.15. Refused to fall asleep again
Nap pd 8.30. Slept 9.00
Currently still sleeping its 9.15 right now.

What do you think i should do?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Please help! 13 mo. Routine out the window! EW no naps...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 17:42:22 pm »
It looks to me like you are in the middle of a nap dropping phase. On the days you have tried for two naps, both of them have been short and the day you had one nap it was really nice and long and although he didn't settle easily at first he had a really good long night.

LOs usually need to be able to manage at least 4.5 hours of A time to really go to one nap, so as an interim stage you can pick which nap you are going to cap and which to keep longer. From your old routine it looks like he was either getting a UT first nap or you were capping it. I would suggest capping the first nap a little more and then seeing if you can get a good long nap for the second one. You may need to bring the first A a little shorter so you're putting down for a Ut nap on purpose and you'll need to play about a bit with the second A time to see what suits him after a short nap.

If I am in time today, I would suggest waking from the first nap soon andthen going for a longer nap early afternoon if you can.

What do you think?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Khadija

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 17:15:25 pm »
So I've been trying to do the new routine for a few days now but it just doesn't seem to be working :-(.
Hes been refusing to sleep at 3 hrs wake time and stretches it until 3.5-4hr. Then i let him nap for 30minutes. And then the rest of the day i just can't get him to sleep. Hes then been having about 12hrs at night. Sometimes he wakes up and cries but settles himself usually. But hes up so early and only getting 12.5 hours sleep in the whole day.

Yesterday i thought i'll let him sleep for his morning nap and maybe try a catnap later on but overall he still only had 12 hr 45 mins. Today i tried again but only got 45mins and he refused the afternoon nap again. I don't know what to do. I don't know if hes stuck in OT or what to do with him.

Yesterday
Wu: 6.15
Nap: 10.15-11.30
Bt: 5.30

Today
Wu: 5.00
Nap: 8.30-9.15
Maybe slept 15mins at 12.30-12.45

Its currently 2.30pm

Please help!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 18:57:13 pm »
Ok, so in that first day you got a 1hr15 min nap after a 4 hr 15 A time. The next day, you tried for a much shorter A time (only 3.5 hours) and you got a UT 45 min nap.
Then I know this was a short nap but I just don't think he was ready to sleep again so soon afterwards.

Why don't you try a 4hr 15 min A and stick with that for 3 days. Please feel free to post each day as it happens so we can see a bit more xx
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 19:06:56 pm by Buttonbobs »
~ Naomi ~