Author Topic: 2.5yr old terrible nights after illness  (Read 3227 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 2.5yr old terrible nights after illness
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 11:34:17 am »
Yay! :D
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 14:36:16 pm »
Fingers crossed we had a good night again he talked a lot in his sleep but is so much more rested!

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 13:14:45 pm »
Well bit of a step backward last night. He has been waking up every night about 10.30-11pm but the previous 2 nights he has resettled himself. Last night though he got really upset very quickly shouting and crying for me so I did WIWO about 6 or 7 times then he settled. He then woke at 2.00am shouting for me very upset again but settled with one visit this time. Not sure what is happening there with the regular wake up every night any ideas?

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 20:18:50 pm »
Same again last night the wake up at 10.30 pm -11pm is like clock work. I try not to go in but he's asking for me and saying he needs this or that so I go in ( should I hold out longer?).  Is it possible for a wake up time to become a habit somehow I just can't think what is causing it?

Offline cath~

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 21:01:55 pm »
Yeah, WUs can def become habit.

Might be worth trying rousing him a bit say 1hr before the usual WU time (just go in so he stirs, touch him if necessary) to see if that helps break the habit.

It's explained a bit more here:
How to address habitual wakings (w2s and other methods)

Could be worth a try.

Was  it just one NW last night otherwise?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 21:11:55 pm »
Good idea my friend with triplets just suggested that too, I'll try it!  Well his wake up started at about 11pm and he seemed to settle after my WIWO's but then he carried on waking on and off until about 1am when I went in again gave him his comforter which he had 'lost' and then he settled down until 7.15am. I'll have a read of the link and give it a try tonight thank you!

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 17:00:25 pm »
Well last night I tried to wake S a little at 9,30 perhaps a little early? He was very difficult to wake! He wakes about 11.30 I went in as he was shouting 'mummy' all the time which makes me feel awful if I ignore him :(. He settled ok after one visit then woke off and on all night I think I went in twice but I lost track zzzzzzz. I'm not sure how to deal with t when he shouts my name so much? He sounds upset but settles so quickly I wonder?  Should I try from the doorway first?  Sorry I'm sure you've told me already but I've got a fuzzy brain today!  I'll try the wake to sleep today again though as I'm sure that will help with that first wake up. I think if I can stop that first wake up he could sleep through again.

Offline cath~

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 19:59:17 pm »
Yeah you could give it a go from the doorway first in case that works. Best to do as little as necessary.

There are dev leaps at birthdays and half birthdays and for lots of LOs this can affect their sleep for a bit, perhaps making it harder for them to settle, or more disturbed during the night. Maybe this is what is going on with your DS? If you can do as little as possible (which it sounds like you are doing) during this period of disturbed sleep then once he's less "disturbed" (not the best word but I hope you kwim) he should get back on track quicker cos he won't have picked up so many "bad habits".

I find it's helpful to be aware that lots of LOs go through patches of wonky sleep on and off throughout toddlerhood and during their early years, even if they were previously great sleepers. It's quite normal (if tiring) and as long and you just respond with the minimum help needed, they should get back on track quite quickly.

HTH x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 20:46:57 pm »
Thanks! Should I still do the wake to sleep in this period would you say?  It does help thanks to know I'm not on my own and lots of parents are in the same boat.  He is very clingy in the day times so maybe that's part of the development leap part too?  Is there an area on here where I could get guidance on building his confidence at all please as I think that all may help too?

Thank you for your support x

Offline cath~

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:44 am »
Yes clinginess often comes with development leaps ( we always get that with L).

At this age IME the best thing you can do to build confidence is actually to give all the cuddles / reassurance etc that he asks for and show him you're always there for him. Once he learns this then he will have more confidence to explore the world a bit more independently. with lots of LOs though this does take time so be patient and enjoy the cuddles for now

If you want more advice on that sort of thing the board to post on is D&S:
Discipline & Socialization Skills
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:25 am »
Thank you yes that makes sense I need to make sure he feels secure.  Last night I did the wake to sleep again and he woke about 10 mins later, maybe he was about to wake up anyway?  He seemed to be less upset so I left him a bit longer and he resettled ok. This happened twice more in the night but I didn't feel I had to go in so hopefully it was progress. I'll look on the link too thank you I bet there lots to help us there :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 13:20:36 pm »
Oh yes sorry, I meant to say I'd keep trying with the W2S for a few more nights before you decide if it's helping or not.  Probably a bit soon to say after just 1/2 tries.  Sounds like you're making progress anyway. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 15:56:56 pm »
Thanks I must show my other half as every time I Go in to try wake to sleep he announces 'that didn't work!' Soon after. I'll keep on with it !

Thanks

Offline Jojogreeneyes

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 10:42:48 am »
Can I ask your advice please should I carry on with wake to sleep?  I've done it for a week and he is still waking at 11pm like clockwork. He had managed to settle with a quick shush for a couple of nights but last night was terrible. He had a tantrum when I did walk in walk out and he finally settled about 1am. He woke at 6am then settled himself until 7am.  I could here him muttering and chatting during the night too he's very tired today. Thankfully his brother slept through.  Any suggestions welcome please!

Thanks Jo x

Offline cath~

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
I think IIWM and the w2s hasn't helped after a week then I'd stop.

You might just have to ride this unsettled patch out doing what you're doing. I think the fact he's showing you that he can resettle himself at some NWs is a good thing.

How was last night? Do you think he could be getting OT?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old