Author Topic: help please.. 14 months and wakes continously  (Read 1282 times)

Offline laura.frost

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help please.. 14 months and wakes continously
« on: February 22, 2015, 19:44:50 pm »
Please help me. My son is 14 months today and for as long as I can remember has been waking between 2 and 10 times a night. His routine is as follows
7 am.  Wakes
8 am. Breakfast
9am.nap (he insists)
12. Lunch
Between 2 and 3. Nap
5 pm. Dinner
6 pm. Bath
7 pm.  Bed
He is a very good eater and eats everything I put in front of him. He has milk before each nap but only about 4 oz. He goes to sleep fine each time but at night wakes continously. He normally sleeps from 7 pm until 10/11 straight and then after that it can be anything from every hour to every few hours. He has milk through the night, I think I may be causing myself more of an issue by giving him milk but if I don't he will not stop crying... sometimes he just wakes up as his dummy has fallen onto the floor and he can't find it but he always needs milk to go back to sleep. How do I stop the milk/should I stop the milk and do you think this is the reason he keeps waking. Don't know how much longer I can go with all these night waking 😢

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: help please.. 14 months and wakes continously
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 20:50:06 pm »
Hi Laura - I'm sure others will give you more expert advice than me but I couldn't read and run. I think there are coupLe of things going on - firstly that first nap is very early, is it also 3 hrs long? If so that's v long if he's having another in the afternoon. Ideally at this age you prob want 1 long and 1 short nap - you'll probably find he will be making the 2-1 transition soon too. Have you tried pushing his A times at all?

Secondly it sounds like the milk has become a prop at night.  Have you ever done any sleep training? Again, others will give you more expert help I'm sure but I would think you might want to try pupd ( or pd as it would be at this age).

Massive hugs - sounds like you're having a really tough time.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 21:11:50 pm »
Hi Hun,

Mackjack

I'm sure others will give you more expert advice than me but I couldn't read and run.

Non of us here are experts! Just other parents who sometimes have BTDT and willing to help. Thank you for posting, your advise and questions are spot on.

laura.frost, ((HUGS)) Hun, we'll wait for you to answer the questions and I'm sure there is more advise we can give.x.

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 21:56:49 pm »
Hi Laura sounds like we are in a same boat. My lo is also 14m old and wakes all night long, same as your, most night she sleeps fine till 10/11 and then up up up all night long. We have  a prop issue unfortunately and I think that might be the case with you and the bottles.
It sounds like your son is also getting ready for 2-1 transition.

The first nap is early. He needs it early because he is tiered from waking at night. Even if he insist, I`d try and push it 10-15 minutes at a time. Your goal would be moving it till 11 for start then maybe even 12.
I`d also stop the milk at night. He is eating well and he is old enough to go trough the night with out it. You can try and cutting the oz of milk slowly. What I did was drop an oz every 4 nights for the night feed. Or diluting the formula (cutting the number of scoops of formula).
About the dummy, what I do is 4 in the crib,(have read someone putting 8 ) some are what I call night dummies, they have some florescent part that glows and its easy to find.

HTH
Dache

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 23:21:14 pm »
Sammysmammy - I know, I know, I just worry about steering someone in the wrong direction when they're feeling desperate! Plus I've had such good advice here before I do think some of you ARE experts!

Laura - my 13 month old just went through the 2-1 transition (at about 12 months). He was no longershowing sleepy signs and I was going crazy trying to work out when to time his 2 naps, the second of which he was fighting a lot - so I realised he was heading for 1 nap a day and just went cold turkey to set nap and BT. There were wobbles and some EW etc but I think It definitely worked for us. Possibly something to consider? 

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:42:11 am »
Mine is just a month older and wakes about as often! It's so exhausting. Some things I am learning - I think if he finishes his long nap at noon and does the CN around 3, he may need BT earlier. That's a long day to go until 7. I would go for BT at 6.

I think milk at night is only hurting you at this point. I am doing the same thing. DH is out of town but next week our plan is for him to go in between 10p and 6am and sit and talk to her but no milk. I think it's the only way at this point. :(

Whenever I'm embarking on a major change and dreading the work, I try to remember that Tracy always said the first 3 days are the hardest. Then it gets better, then there are regressions but if you can make it through 3 days you're likely going to get there.
*Kate*

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:31:54 am »
I can see you're in excellent hands, and that you ladies are going to be great for each other :)

Sammysmammy - I know, I know, I just worry about steering someone in the wrong direction when they're feeling desperate! Plus I've had such good advice here before I do think some of you ARE experts!

Let me tell you something Honey, we can all be 'deemed' experts when it comes to someone elses LO but when it comes to our own you can guarantee our heads will spin just the same lol  :-* This site simply can't run without the help of other Mammy's so we are grateful for everyone who chips in :)

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 11:37:44 am »
That is so true Sammysmammy!