Author Topic: 7 month old refusing to drink from bottle  (Read 5839 times)

Offline buzeemum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
7 month old refusing to drink from bottle
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:20:38 am »
Hello all
I am new to this site ... so just a little background.  Have a three old boy and a 7 month old. 

I exclusively breast fed my lo until i started weaning him onto solids.  I had introduced him to the bottle when he was a wee 3 weeks old and used the dream feed technique which worked really well.  However when he was almost 5 months he suddenly started to refuse taking the bottle and seems to prefer breast feeding.  We have been trying since then to get him to take the bottle and he basically suckles for a bit then starts playing around with the teat.  It doesn't matter what we put in the bottle breast milk or formula the reaction is the same.

I am now back at work which is why i am desperate to get him to take the bottle, at the moment i am breast feeding morning and evening and his minder feeds him the bottle in the afternoon - tho it takes some cajouling to get him to drink.  (He is fussy about his milk in anything bottle, cup, sippy) and If i try he totally refuses!!! :-[

So i had decided to give it a rest again as i was at my wits end when i pulled out Tracey's book (the baby whisperer solves all your problems) ... and she has a whole two pages dedicated to it  :o- of which the example she gives is exactly my situation ... :-[

My only question is this ...Tracey seems to basically be suggesting going cold turkey on the breast for 48 hours offering the baby the bottle every hour .... do i continue with his solid feeds as normal .... will this not fill him up?  Just tad confused here planning to trying this weekend.

Sorry its a bit of a lengthly post for just theone question at the end!
Thanks for any help you could give.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 7 month old refusing to drink from bottle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
We had a different problem with my 2nd when she refused the breast at 8 months. She had discovered cups with straws, and was apparently thrilled that she could gulp her entire feed in under a minute and get back to being busy. ;D She also refused the bottle from birth, not matter what different nipples/teats we tried (have you tried different ones with faster/slower flow or different shapes?), so when she went cold turkey on the breast, we were very relieved to find this option. Might be worth a try.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 7 month old refusing to drink from bottle
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 17:48:24 pm »
Have you had a look here http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64926.0 there are some great tips and advice!

Laura