Author Topic: When to go from 2 to 1 bottles  (Read 1121 times)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
When to go from 2 to 1 bottles
« on: January 01, 2007, 13:18:17 pm »
hi there (and a happy new year to everyone on the bottle board!)

just wondering, really and looking for thoughts & opinions...
Sophie is 1 on Thursday (eek!) and is still on 2 bottles a day- she has 7 oz on waking and 7 oz at bedtime. She drinks water from an Avent Magic cup throughout the day quite happily, and I haven't made any effort yet to get her to have milk from a beaker/ cup (baaad mummy). Anyway will she start to refuse that morning bottle or will I have to just do cold turkey? If so when should I do it? She has lots of cheese/ yoghurts etc so not worried about dairy intake. Should I start changing her to beaker now as well? I should point out that she doesn't hold her bottle, never has done, she still sits on my lap and leans back on a pillow; also she doesn't hold her Magic cup, I have taken the valve out and I just tip it up into her mouth.
Also I need to think about changing over to cows milk- should I just do it one day or mix it with her formula & do it gradually?
Hmmmmmm, lots to think about here! Any advice welcome!
kathryn x
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 13:26:23 pm by kathrynk »
]

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Re: When to go from 2 to 1 bottles
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 20:33:14 pm »
Hi Kathryn,

Happy New Year to you too  :-*

Wow, I cannot believe that Sophie is going to be 1 soon, unbelievable how quickly time flies.  Hope she has a good day  :-*

With regards of when to drop to 1 bottle, I would completely follow your lo.  If she is still taking both her bottles so well, I would leave her on it until she is ready to drop it.

We seem to be going through this phase at the moment.  Thomas has started fussing over his morning bottle over the past few weeks where he will only take a few sips of it and then pushes it away.  He would rather have his breakfast.  He is 18 months in 2 weeks time, and I am thinking about dropping the morning bottle as he just does not want it.

I too have tried to get him on a sippy with his milk in, and have just failed constantly.  He looks at me as if I am mad when I put milk in instead of water / juice.  I am just going to keep on offering a few oz in a sippy every morning with his cereal in hopes that he will start taking more out of it.  He too eats a lot of yogurts during the day.

With regards to the transition to cows milk, I started a sticky poll just before Thomas turned 1, where I asked about transitioning to cows milk.  In the end we just went cold turkey and Thomas did not notice the difference at all.  He actually started to take a lot more than the formula he used to drink.  Just to warn you, it can effect their bowel movements, but that is also discussed in that link.  8)

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65759.0

Hope the info helps.  Let us know how you get on.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 20:36:02 pm »

happy new year, just wanted to let u know that i have swapped to cows milk over the weeken and all is going well here, he didn't even notice, still on 2 bottles here sometimes 3 if teething and solid intake drops.

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:14:53 am »
Hi Kathryn,

Just wanted to add that my DD has 10ozs milk first thing in the morning and 7ozs late afternoon. When we made the change to whole milk DD loved it and drank alot more than when she was on formula. I know she would have more milk if i let her but i am worried it will interferre with her food intake. At 12months+ milk intake recommended is 16ozs and i have been told that this includes other dairy as well.
I think DD is getting to much dairy but she LOVES it and i will ask about it in a month when she has her 18month check up.
I think we may drop the afternoon milk as she isn't that fussed on it but LOVES her morning milk. She is like her Mummy who needs her coffee first thing in the morning she needs her milk. In addition to milk she has a tub of yoghurt,slice of cheese and often a tub of custard.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:23:12 am »
hi Kathryn, happy new year!
this week---I just decided to give Noah breakfast and his milk in a sippy at the same time. hes doing pretty good----he'll still only take about 4oz from the sippy but then I offer the rest in the bottle afterwards. I'm not sure if this is the best approach or not but I have read that is the thing to do when transitioning from the bottle to the sippy, and eventually they start taking more from the sippy. we also started putting 1oz of cows milk/6oz formula---its going up to 4oz formula/3oz milk tommorow.

talk to you later :D
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 07:23:43 am »
thanks everyone- will let you know how we get on! xx