Author Topic: Should we take a solids "break" ?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline x95stocchier

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Should we take a solids "break" ?
« on: June 18, 2006, 17:42:45 pm »
Hi!  DS is 6 mo 1 week old.  About 3 weeks ago I started him on rice cereal (w/ EBM),  which he seemed to take to with interest, but after about a week, he started getting really fussy while I fed him.  I tried gradually increasing amount, also gradually making thicker (from 4:1 to 2:1) but we are still at 2 teaspoons of cereal with 4 teaspoons of EBM, and he most often does not eat that much...maybe half.  I feel like I am trying to "sneak" it in his mouth while he's looking at something else, or chewing on a second spoon.  I know you are supposed to follow their cues, so I don't like the idea of "sneaking" it in.

It was suggested to me to try something with some flavor, so I tried avocado (failed miserably) and today banana...I pureed it and mixed with EBM to make it quite thin.  For about 3-4 spoonfuls, he opened him mouth for it, but then back to the same-old-same-old fussiness.

I've tried moving him out of the highchair to an upright bouncy seat, and also on my lap, thinking he just didn't like the chair, but no luck.

Am I trying too hard?  Should we just take a break from solids for a while? I was rather expecting a baby who opens wide and gobbles it up (especially banana!) Did I have too high of expectations?  Is his reaction normal, should we continue or just take a break for now?
THANKS!
Sarah

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 19:39:20 pm »
I'd take a break.

Just because WHO recommends babies be breast fed/formula fed until 6 months of age doesn't mean that ALL babies will be ready for solids.  It's not like something magical happens once they turn 6 months and will suddenly be willing to accept solid foods.  Some babies may take a bit longer, and it sounds like your little guy might be one of them!  Most babies will be ready for solids from 6-8 months.  There's no need to rush.

I agree with you, that you shouldn't be trying to "sneak" it in.  Maybe try offering something once a week, just to see how it goes.  Follow his cues.  Believe me, you'll know when he's into it and enjoying it.  When he's ready, you'll know it.  :)

At this age, it's so much more important for him to be getting breast milk anyway.  Solids shouldn't become a major source of nutrition until after 1 year.

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Re: Should we take a solids "break" ?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 20:12:07 pm »
We had a break of about a month when we first weaned. I weaned early, with HV advice, cos she was really hungry and milk alone was satisfying her, but it turned out to be a bit of a growth spurt and she wasn't as hungry after a few weeks. She was sontent with just her milk. I waited about a month and then realised she was showing all the signs again and reintroduced it.

Well done for reading her cues so well!!!
Kimberley

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 21:32:29 pm »
The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and relax.  It could be that he is not ready yet.  Maybe take a break for a few days and then try again.  Or maybe he only wants the  three or four mouthfuls and then he has had enough.  How long after BF are you giving him the solids?

We wait at least an hour but both of my boys LOVED the solids ;D

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 21:50:11 pm »
i agree with taking a break for a bit and try again , rice cereal can be quite filling , maybe he's not that hungry and a few mouth fulls is enough for him .we found Ryan was really interested when we first introduced solids but then he started to refuse , like you we tried something else but got the same response so laid off for a week and tried again , he took small amounts to begin with
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 22:12:38 pm »
I agree as well.  I did have a baby who opened wide and gobbled up but in doing so started cutting back on her formula intake too soon.  She is also 6 months 1 week.  I realized what was happening one week when she was suddenly up crying all night.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong and realized two things -- first, she was getting constipated and second, the fruit that I was giving her to help with the constipation was new to her diet.  So I decided to cut out the fruit for now and cut way back on the amount of cereal she gets, I also switched from rice to oatmeal.  And she's back to her normal self again.  She opened wide for the food, seemed to think it was yummy, but her body wasn't ready.  So its OK to take one step forward and 2 steps back sometimes because sometimes its the right thing to do.

Good luck!!
Jill

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:44:42 am »
we had to switch to oatmeal aswell as rice cereal was constipating
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline x95stocchier

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 23:53:10 pm »
Thank you all for yoru advice!  I am so parinoid of force feeding him!

We skipped it today, and will probably wait a week as some of you have recommended.  I also bought oatmeal, so I'll try that when we start back up.  Didn't know rice was constipating! (though by bf DS only dirties a diaper about 1X per week, so it'd be hard to know!)  He has been unusually fussy the past 2 days, and lots of gas last night and today, so maybe the stuff is just not agreeing.  I was also surprised some of you said maybe just a few spoonfuls.  Never thought of that.  He's usually ok for the first few bites, but then gets fussy....I'm trying to give too much, to get to that magic 1-2 Tablespoons.

I wait 1 hr after BF before solids, plan to do the same when we start back up. 

Thanks again!  I'll let you know how it goes next week!
Sarah

Offline x95stocchier

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 19:30:02 pm »
Hi!  I just wanted to give you all an update, since I really appreciate your advice!

We took a break for about 2-3 weeks, and started again about a week or so ago.  We started with pears, and just 2 teaspoons....he did very well, ate it all almost every time.  Then the other day we tried acrn squash, which he loved and gobbled it up.  I have given as much as 1 Tablespoon of that...and today we tried oatmeal, which he ate without complaint.  So THANK YOU all for your encouragement and advice.  I think I was trying to give him too much, beacuse I read he should be having X tbsp at every meal, etc.  We are both much happier when I start with 2 tsp and  then add more if he is asking.  ;D
Sarah