Author Topic: doesn't want to feed himself  (Read 951 times)

Offline SylvieA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
doesn't want to feed himself
« on: August 15, 2006, 14:10:34 pm »
HI
DS is 9 months old and can not figure out how to put food in his mouth. He wants everything done for him. I've been giving softned cherios(tried dry and swallowed undisolved) when we eat our diner to keep him occupied, but will only be quiet for 5min max and then gets frustrated and wants me to feed him. I tried teething biscuits but he can't desolve them quick enough for his liking and gets frustraten again. Does anyone have tips on self feeding and patience on LO side (can't get solid in quick enough) TIA
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline SylvieA

Re: doesn't want to feed himself
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:46:51 pm »
Hi there
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried to mesh feeder with frozen breast milk, he liked it at first but got frustrated after a few times. I'll keep trying though. And I did give him finger food after a full bottle and he did the same. Oh well i guess I have an impatiant LO when it comes to slid food. Thanks again
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 14:55:46 pm »
What about feeding him first THEN have him sit at the table with you so he can watch you and DH eat.  That way he won't be so frustrated and hungry and will be more likely to try new things.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 18:43:09 pm »
Just letting you know your lo is not the only one who wouldn't feed himself.  Ds really liked to play with utensils, though.  I also had a basket of small toys for him to play with during mealtime.  This kept him happy so I could eat, too.  It took until ds's first birthday for him to realize he could put food in his own mouth, even though he routinely tried to feed himself rocks from the garden.  ::)  It took him a very short time after that to become a feeding expert.

Offline SylvieA

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:15:05 pm »
Well I'm glad to here that I'm not the only one with a LO that does feed himself (although will put everything else in his mouth ) I suppose this is the first sign I got that I'll be raising a typical male, wants everything done for them ;D
Thanks for all the good tips. And I'll keep trying.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008