Author Topic: help..am i becoming his paci?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2014, 05:42:49 am »
My DS2 is 2 weeks old and is exclusively BF. Since 2-3 days he just wants to sleep while taking the breast. In the afternoon he will take the breast for 2-3 mins and doze off...but in the morning and at night he will keep on sucking and when I have a let down he becomes very fussy and restless probably coz he doesn't want milk and just wants to suck. If he sleeps and I slowly remove him away he gets up after 2-3 mins realising that he is away from the breast and roots for the breast again. I have tried giving him a pacifier but he doesn't take it.

In the afternoon I have tried to settle me him by shsh patting him over my shoulder and it does work most of the time but as soon as I lay him down he gets up...at night shsh pat doesn't seem to work at all and I become his pacifier..

I dnt want him to get into this habit of sleeping on the boob plus this is also detering us from having any kind of feeding schedule coz he just keeps snacking.

Pls help...i just want to get into some kind of schedule I know its early but feeding him all the time is just getting v difficult..

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 05:44:35 am »
Just to add...could this be a growth spurt?

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: help..am i becoming his paci?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 20:31:24 pm »
It could be a GS, but it does sound like he's looking for something to suck. Have you tried a few different kinds of pacifiers? Some babies like a certain brand better than others. The other thing to try would be to give him your finger to suck on instead of the breast to help him settle. He's still so young, so I wouldn't worry about major prop issues, but obviously you don't want him snacking all day either as that won't help get good feeds established.

Also, wrt shh/pat. It's pretty normal for babies of this age to settle with it and then wake right up after being out down. Are you able to continue shh/pat in the crib for 10-15min after you lay him down to help him get into a deeper sleep?