Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 3653 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 13:55:28 pm »
Hard Night! My lo went to bed around 830, but awoke at 9-she had somehow pulled her little arms up out of her swaddle and was crying.  I settled her and she slept until 11:00 when I gave her the DF-she took about 4 ounces.  I thought that would last her, but she woke at 2:00 and wanted to feed.  I offered the breast first instead of the paci and fed very well-What's going on?  The 2 nights before she was at least sleeping till 330 or400.  I also noticed she was quite gassy.  I laid her down around230 and she woke at 445.  I put the paci in her mouth and was able to keep her satisfied until 545 when we started the day.  I noticed that when I fed her this am and unswaddled her she let out gas almost the whole time.  I'm thinking this may be the reason she didn't sleep well.  Also, she seems to sleep better when I swaddle her (just started doing this yesterday), but she doesn't like it.  Any thoughts ???

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Cluster Feeding
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 14:10:38 pm »
Ok, first off.  It will take a few days for her to get used to teh swaddle.  So stick with it.  It will make her angry, but it does help bigtime!  Did you check out the aussie swaddle that is posted somewhere on the site here?  It was the only swaddle I could get to work on my lo!  Even at 7 months and highly mobile, he couldn't get out.

Your lo may be adjusting to the swaddle, the new routine and/or approaching a growth spurt.  Hang in there.  It's really quite tough to pin down exactly what it would be.

WHen you start something new, the lo may catch on and then regress for a few days.  It's quite common and normal.  So don't feel like last night was a failure.  Just stick to waht you are doing.  No need to chnage it all around just because of one night.

I think if you are worried about the gas, try some gripe water.  Many ppl sing the praise of this wonder liquid.

Hang in there and wait it out a bit to see.

{{hugs}}
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 14:58:04 pm »
Thanks!  What is gripe water and where can I get it :D

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 15:08:51 pm »
Gripe water helps los that have gas.  It's all natural.  It is not available in all countries I don't think.  I live in Canada and it is available here.  If you can get it in your country, I would assume any pharmacy would carry it.

It has been around for ages.  My mom used it for me when I was little.

HTH

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 13:58:15 pm »
Update on dream feed-last night I did a dream feed at 10:15.  She woke and 12:30, I soothed her and she went right back to sleep.  She woke again at 1:30 and I fed her, she then slept till 5:45.  I'm hoping she will cut out the 12:30 wake.  I thought about extending her dream feed to 11:00, but it's so hard to stay awake until then.  She's still quite gassy.  I did puchase gripe water and will try it today. 

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 14:06:48 pm »
Thanks for the update. 

It really does sound like you are making progress.  I would wait just a bit longer to cut out that night feed.  Once she gets used to the new routine, she may cut it out all by herself.  That's great you got her to go through until 1:30 by resettling her. 

If you want to move the df, that's up to you.  But I know it's nice to get in bed earlier.  If you are up that late, then do it, if not, then do the 10:15.  It would be great if it's consistent, but I know I df my lo right before I went to bed.  This made sure he got it the latest possible and also I got all the nice sleepy enorphins that the body puts out when you nurse.   

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 22:53:59 pm »
Thanks!  I have tried the gripe water w/ my dd twice.  She gets diarrhea.  Is this common?  I'm going to cut back to 1/2 the dose tonight. 

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 11:57:37 am »
I don't know if it's common.  Maybe you should try another post in a general section to see if other mamas have experienced it.