Author Topic: General question about A times.  (Read 819 times)

Offline littlemithi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 30, 2013, 15:03:53 pm »
When someone suggests extending LO's A time, how do you go about it?

Shouldn't we be looking for LO's own cues for signs of tiredness? (I must admit, the older she gets, the harder they are to read). Do they not extend by themselves naturally over time? Or do we have to forcibly keep them awake longer for a few days to get them to a new A time? Or is it a bit of both, or baby dependent? I'm just confused by the watching-her-cues vs forcibly-implementing-new-A-time.

If we are keeping them awake for longer, how best to handle overtiredness and really short naps? Just go with it for a few days? Or...?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: General question about A times.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 21:26:22 pm »
Yes you should watch LO's cues but these are about more than just when she is tired. Important signs are also how long she naps, how easily she settles for naps, how night sleep if affected, EWs etc.
sometimes, especially as LOs get older they can exhibit tired signs when they are just bored and a change of scene would be enough to liven them up again. They can also show tired signs when their bodies are used to napping rather than when they are really tired enough to take a decent nap.
We usually recommend increasing A times gradually by about 10-15 minutes every few days  (depending on how much you need to increase by) to avoid OT. You can do it by 5 mins and do one A time at a time if LO is particularly susceptible to OT. It can also help to keep the extra A time low key and just spend it walking round the house looking at things, singing or reading for example.
Here is a link with more info Average A times and "Is my baby ready to increase A time?"
HTH
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline littlemithi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:03:44 am »
Thanks for that.

LO is 6 months on Sunday and currently on 2 hour A times. Think she needs more but I'm having trouble seeing the wood from the trees... whether she is genuinely tired or just used to napping after 2 hours.

If only she could tell me "OK mummy, I am tired now" and just put herself to sleep.

Sigh...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: General question about A times.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 14:12:25 pm »
If she is sleeping fine then I would keep as you are but if she is having EW/ NWs, short naps or trouble settling then she likely does need more A time yes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011