Author Topic: How long wind down for 13 month old?  (Read 900 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
How long wind down for 13 month old?
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:27:24 am »
LO is 13.5 months old. We're having 1 night waking right now, which I've done some AP and given a bottle. We're working on weaning that right now.

I'm wondering if one thing I need to do is change is wind down for naps and bed. He's so much more active now, and whereas before he didn't need (or want) much winding down before sleep, I think now it's more necessary. He's pretty active, right up until he goes to sleep.

Here's our night time routine:

dinner 5:30 pm
sometimes  a yogurt at 6 pm
6:45 bath & jammies
7:00 go to his room and let him walk/crawl/climb around, play with quiet toys or read books in dim lighting
7:15 get in jammies
7:30 in bed.

He usually falls asleep pretty quickly, but I now think that may be due to overtiredness.

Should I get rid of that play time before bed? Keep it to quiet reading? He really doesn't mind being in his room, and i think it's because we do that playing. I'll even put him in his crib to play and he does so happily. But I'm worried the play is winding him UP more than DOWN!

How long is wind down usually at this age?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: How long wind down for 13 month old?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 18:00:13 pm »
Quote (selected)
I HATE it when kaleb is asleep in 2-5 mins cause I know he was over tired lol.

That is so true!! I never looked at it that way.  When we put Tyler down at night and he plays in his bed for 15-20 minutes, DH gets so annoyed like "Why isn't he sleeping?"   

Sorry to get off topic but that struck me as interesting.

Our "wind down" for naps is about 2 minutes.  Nighttime it is bath, little video, little cuddle then into bed.  About 20 minutes maybe.

HTH!
Judy

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 19:24:31 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'm beginning to appreciate the fast fall-asleep/overtired scenario. Last night, LO rolled around in his crib for 30 minutes moaning and groaning before he fell asleep, but he slept thru the night with no NW (and no bottle!) for the first time in weeks!

I think I need to focus more on getting him to bed quick enough rather than the WD.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 19:28:06 pm »
Quote (selected)
Last night, LO rolled around in his crib for 30 minutes moaning and groaning before he fell asleep, but he slept thru the night with no NW (and no bottle!) for the first time in weeks!

That's great! :)
Judy