Author Topic: EBF Twins?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EBF Twins?
« on: April 27, 2012, 21:07:04 pm »
I am expecting twins in September. I would really REALLY prefer to EBF them if at all possible. That being said, the idea of trying to do that scares me to death because my milk supply with ODD barely made it to 9 months. I know with her it was a supply problem because we stopped nursing cold turkey and I never had even one minute of feeling full or engorged afterwords.

So moms, tell me it can be done! If there are any great old twin BFing threads please link to them. I really wish the search option worked on this site because I feel like I am starting over learning everything there is to know about EASY.
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: EBF Twins?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 22:48:39 pm »
There is a mum EBF twins here somewhere at the moment. I think they're nearly 5 months... but I've been known to be wrong. I will see if I can remember who she is and get her in contact with you. xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 22:51:49 pm »
Congrats!  I'll have a look for some old threads, but I know a few folks who have successfully bf twins for over a year (one who used to be on this site, 1 IRL) -- my IRL friend said the key for her was to nurse a ton to get her supply established and then not doubt that she could do it.  Once you figure out how to nurse them both at the same time I've heard it gets much easier as well.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:10:45 am »
Wow and yay for twins!!!!!!

My experience bf'ing my twins wasn't stellar but I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and we had a horrible birth experience among other things so we made it to six weeks.

HOWEVER.......I learned this: your body will meet demand especially if you get things started ebf. Please contact a twin or multiples group in your area. Any support you can get irl with twins is going to really help you. Your milk tends to come in faster the second time around and that should both help you and boost your confidence in the early days. I went on to ebf my singleton with tons to spare most times. I had a ton of help due to my anxiety over making enough milk. Plus some other minor issues 

I have a friend irl who ebf'd her twin girls to 14 months. It can be done.

I will throw it out there that I thought I would save time by trying to feed them together but it was far easier to get one done and then the other as they took only 20 mins to feed. I think if I did one at a time from the start I would have had more success with it. But again, get a location consultant on your side. it's not too early to start speaking with one.

Congrats again :) Twins are a lot of fun ;)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 14:36:38 pm »
Hi and congratulations on your upcoming arrivals!

I found one thread about BF twins - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=43751.0 - not sure how helpful it is as I haven't got time to read all through for now, but thought I'd put it out there.

I also second getting IRL support ready pre-birth (a lot of BF support groups love to see antenatal women and have freebie samples of Lansinoh to give away ;) )  Also twins and multiple groups in your area may well have contacts for women who have BF that they could put you in touch with.

Good on you for planning ahead :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:25:19 am »
FWIW, I "knew" the mom on that thread and she ebf the girls for around a year.  Trying to find some other moms for you too. 

Offline Sezzle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:17:39 am »
Hi there!  Congratulations on expecting  two little bundles!!   Twins are just amazing, you will love being a twin mummy!

My twin boys are 22 months old and they are still breastfeeding!  
We had a bit of a different journey to many as they were premmies born at 25weeks so spent their first 12 weeks being fed their breastmilk by a nasogastric tube, but slowly got the hang of BF and came home fully breastfeeding.

I also wondered when I was pregnant if EBF twins was possible, and then after they were born early I thought that perhaps i might not be able to.  But here we are 22 months on still happily BF!  I am happy to answer any questions you might have!

Sarah xx

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 20:03:09 pm »
Oh Sarah, that's just amazing!  Good on you!
*** Amanda ***

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 04:40:55 am »
Thank you ladies!! I will have to read more on the thread that was posted.

Sarah, I will be sending you a message in a day or so, I am about to go to bed and can't right now.

Any suggestions on HOW to find a local twins group?
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:25:22 am »
If you're in Canada you can check this out: http://www.multiplebirthscanada.org/english/index.php

Otherwise I would suggest you contact the L&D Department or Google Multiple Births and your country.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 19:13:25 pm »
Not sure where you are, but this is the UK group http://www.tamba.org.uk/
*** Amanda ***