Author Topic: Need help - it's not getting better  (Read 889 times)

Offline atlanta

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2007, 13:02:29 pm »
During the last month my 5 month old son has had 2 ear infections, a throat infection and now he's teething - as a result he's been waking up anywhere from 2 to 5 times during the night. Now he no longer has the infections and the teething seems to be better at the moment - but he's still waking up several times.
Most of the time I reswaddle him and he goes straight back to sleep - but obviously it would be better if he remained asleep!

Here's an average day - I know his bedtime is a little late (we're working on it!)

7:40 Wake and E
8:10 A
10:15 S
11:20 E
11:40 A
1:20 S
3:30 E
4 A
6:15 S
7:15 E
9:30 Bedtime
11 DF

After this particular day he woke up at 12:50a, 2a and 5a. I fed him the second time. The other times he was back to sleep within 5 minutes.

He is able to put himself to sleep. We use a dummy (pacifier) just in his crib and I do sshhh/pat. He is 18.5lbs and is breastfed. During the day he's absolutely fine - lots of energy and smiles and naps well.

Any advice is appreciated!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Need help - it's not getting better
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 00:03:26 am »
I think that his routine could have something to do with it

Usually the morning A time is shorter than other A times & you could cut the afternoon nap so that he is able to go down for the night earlier because the catnap will then be earlier as well.

I would try something like this:

7.30 - wakes & eat
9:30-11am - morning nap
11.30 - E
1.30-3pm - afternoon nap (wake him 1.5hrs)
3.30 - E
5-5:30/5:45 - catnap (no longer than 45mins)
7:30 - E & bedtime
11pm - DF

As for the swaddle - have you heard of a miracle blanket/swaddle. They seem to help alot in that babies don't get out of them so easily. Or you could try weaning the swaddle & using a gro-bag instead. But I would say the NW's are more related to the late bedtime....

Let me know what you think
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline rob1lu2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Boozy
Re: Need help - it's not getting better
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:52:18 am »
Also, when do you go into him? When he is crying? Or when he is fussing? Are you giving him a chance to self-settle?

Still love tht picture of your son! So cute, I can't stand it!

Lu