Author Topic: snack ideas for a crowd of toddlers  (Read 2107 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: August 18, 2007, 14:48:24 pm »
I am assigned snacks twice this semester at a child observations DS and I attend.  It is usually about 20 kids and most of them eat pretty well.  The standard fair seems to be raisins and crackers, cut up bananas or cheese cubes.

I don't mind those things, but I was thinking of being more creative.  there are only a few restrictions - no popcorn, peanuts, cookies or candy.  Otherwise the instructions say bring food 'appropriate for a toddler"  The kids ages range from 15 mo to 5 years but the majority of the kids are 15m-3.

I was thinking of these ideas  - cut up granola bars to bite size peices or nutrigrain type bars, steamed and cut cut carrots, pretzels, and cut up string cheese.  someone brought elbow shaped pasta last week and some dry cereal which I thought was great.  But I don't want to repeat it immediately.  I like variety.

I even have tiny cookie cutters - I could cut up the steamed carrots into animal shapes!  Hello Martha Stewart!!  Or I could do the same with block cheese.

any other ideas or thoughts?

thanks

Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: snack ideas for a crowd of toddlers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 18:43:37 pm »
Fruit is always good, raspberries, strawberries, grapes etc don't need any preparation because they are already bitesize :), cheese and pineapple cubes on cocktail sticks is a traditional English party food, mini homemade sausages (raw pork or chicken blitzed in a food processor with apple, onion and fresh sage, shallow fried in olive oil), cheese straws (puff pastry with grated cheese, onion too as an optional extra), homemade yam crisps...

...that'll do for now, sure other things will come to me!

Ax
Alison x

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 20:44:51 pm »
these are really  fun ideas!  thanks!

Stacy, I do have a question about the sushi - do they really stay together?  or do you skewer each peice with a tooth pick?
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:22:56 am »
I like everyone else's ideas better, but thought I would share one of mine as a for what it is worth....  Sometimes I give my lo crackers with cheese on it (spread or sliced cheese) and tiny pieces of meat on them.    You can substitute the cheese with cream cheese, hummus, or a healthy dip.