Author Topic: Tomato allergy and bolognaise ideas  (Read 2288 times)

Offline minximom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 20, 2007, 19:28:06 pm »
Hello, I was wondering if anybody might have some cooking suggestions for me please? Fussy eater DD  [three and a half]was diagnosed allergic to tomatoes [strawberries, kiwi's, pork, lemons, oranges, blue colouring] two months ago. One of her favourite dishes has always been spaghetti bolognaise or lasagne. I've tried making the meat sauce without the tomatoes but she won't eat it because it's not the right colour. So anybody have any ideas they might like to share?

Thank you.

p.s. I'd put my name but MIL is now reading the site and I really do not want to get her expert opinion on DD's 'imaginary allergies'. She thinks it's all for attention and so the doctors can make money. ::)

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Tomato allergy and bolognaise ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 20:29:58 pm »
hugs.tomatoes are a huge problem for us and make dd2 skin look scalded :(.we have huge amounts of allergies here too.would she eat a very mild chilli con carne sauce?
i will have a look for some recipes and see what i can find in my cook book :)
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline minximom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 19:35:14 pm »
Thank you Stacy and Jenny H for your helpful ideas. I shall try the peppers this weekend and see how that goes. Excuse my ignorance but could you tell me what a chilli con carne sauce is supposed to contain? I always used tomatoes for it before. Poor dd has just had more bloods taken today and they are going to test again for coeliac disease. Her diet is already quite narrow [asthmatic reactions to salicilates and lactose]. I feel terrible for her. She loves croissants and pain au chocolat. As a coeliac myself I know that the gluten free ones do not taste the same.

Still fingers crossed that your ideas may excite her about food again!

Offline minximom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 18:48:54 pm »
Ok. Peppers were not a success story. She threw it across the kitchen and screamed at me. My 15 month old loved them though. I'll just have to persevere with dd!

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 06:49:52 am »
sorry the chili was just A suggestion :-\ ,just off the top of my head.i tend to stick to safe foods here.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 07:37:05 am »
Could you try roasting peppers with a few other vegetables but then blitz it up to make it look a little more like a sauce. That way she may be more willing to try it.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline minximom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 19:42:00 pm »
Hello, I tried the peppers mixed in with veg. She got very upset because she said it looked like tomato and that it would hurt her tummy. Nothing I could say would convince her so I let it go. The rest of the family enjoyed it though! I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 21:35:23 pm »
You might need to go for something completely different then like pasta with a cheese sauce. Obviously finding ways of making things look like tomato is not the way to go. I will try and think of a few more ideas.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 23:13:31 pm »
I see you might avoid a tomato-looking sauce now but I still want to suggest trying carrot and beetroots to make a no-tomato pasta sauce.  carrots, beetroot and one small onion/garlic and maybe some fresh herbs. The trick seems to be to experiment with ratios - lots of carrots (grated) and just a little beetroot (for the colour) and simmer until it is the right consistency.

Also - get DD involved in the preparation  ;) Then she is 'making' the sauce and knows what is in it.

I hope she is doing OK, and that MIL sees sense.

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline minximom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 21:40:02 pm »
Result...two years after this initial post I have succeeded in making the sauce that she will eat. We have been growing our own veg and we now have an acceptable ratio of red pepper, carrot, beetroot and pumpkin. Thank you everybody for your feedback.