Author Topic: Once I get my LO back to sleep - how do *I* get back to sleep?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Becca's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Once I get my LO back to sleep - how do *I* get back to sleep?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 22:04:00 pm »
Here are some things that have helped me...  aside from sleep meds, which I have resorted to...   

White noise on a radio-- not too loud to block out a baby in need!
A sleep CD-- called "Sleep solutions" (great for falling asleep), there are others out there
A glass of milk and a peanut bar at bedtime to help curb hunger (I will wake up SO hungry, which goes along with BF as well as pregnancy)
Reading for a few minutes
Pillow over the head (for some reason, this works better than earplugs for me, but same effect as earlier post!)

I've read that it is recommended to get out of bed after 20 minutes or so, so that you don't associate bed with endless insomnia.  Get up, do something else, and return to bed when you feel sleepy.  Repeat as needed!

It really helped me to find a good primary care doctor to sift through different options. 

Hope this helps a little!

Amy

Offline ~S~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 03:47:00 am »
I have to comment on these last two posts.  I don't do yoga, ( I meant to add this) but I do know that concentrating on my breathing helps, making sure I breath in deep through nose  andout slowly through my mouth helps me fall asleep, probably b/c it gives something/nothing to think about, and poof asleep.  And the pillow over the head has always relaxed me, but if I sleep that way have to put one arm over it, and ends up waking me,b/c it falls asleep or gets cold or hurts, but the blocking out light and muffling noise is why I liked it, so that is why I gave the earplugs and eye mask a shot.  So I definitely agree on the pillow thing as well.  Just seconding what y'all said.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline Bryony

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 08:43:02 am »
Thanks everyone!  Haven't had any NWs for a while, but DH came in late last night and then made frequent trips to the loo so I had plenty of opportunities to practice getting back to sleep...  singing Katie's lullaby in my head definitely seemed to work, as did concentrating on breathing - so thanks girls! 

Ithink I also worry too much about waking DH if I put the light on to read or something but given that Katie's NW's don't ever wake him up I suspect I shouldn't worry! 

And yes I sleep with a pillow over my head too  :)   DH thinks it's really bizarre - but it's so nice - blocks out sound and noise, and feels lovely and comforting.  Bit like Katie sleeping with her muslin over her face I guess

Bryony x

You only really know what love is when you become a parent