Author Topic: could weaning to rice milk cause tummy issues -belching?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
could weaning to rice milk cause tummy issues -belching?
« on: September 11, 2007, 16:48:11 pm »
I'm trying to figure out why my ds is having restless afternoons and disrupted night sleep.  Could 'Enriched Original Rice Milk' cause him to suffer?  It has added calcium and vitamins. His main symptom when he is fussy in the afternoons is belching.  He is 11m in 2 more days.  Definite Milk/soy intolerance and all food sensitivities when younger so we started foods slowly at 8m.  I dropped the 1030a bf and switched him to 5 oz of rice milk 4 days ago.  He takes it happily.  His lunch is the same although I have been giving him some raw pear slices (usually cook his fruit).  He has a good pm nap and a very full bf after waking.  He then gets a bit fussy and starts burping a lot. 

Yes, he is teething terribly
I have him on Prevacid (split the dose 3 days ago).

It's so confusing to pinpoint the cause of his distress:  teething, food, reflux and starting to walk!

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: could weaning to rice milk cause tummy issues -belching?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:25:17 am »
It could be the rice milk I know it causes James problems. James's eczema gets worse and he does get very gassy and has yucky nappies. James does not have reflux though so I can not give any information to do with that. The fact that your ds is teething will not help either.

If it is possible I think I would stop giving the rice milk and see if the issues clear up. Then you can always try again and if the same thing happens then you will know. It is also possible that it could be a cross contamination issue as rice milk has shared lines with barley. On kidswithfoodallergies there was a debate on whether it was a shared production line with soy and nuts. This may be something to look into.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:29:36 am »
When Nat was much smaller she would get spinach-green poop on rice milk; turned out to be the carageenan (it's a natural additive, made from seaweed, but her tummy just wasn't ready for it yet). Once I found a brand without it (I think one of the generic store brands, maybe Whole Foods), she was fine. A few months later we added some Rice Dream back into her diet and she could tolerate it much better and still does. :)

We did have to avoid cottage cheese and cream cheese for a while, as many of them also have carageenan too, but it was a matter of reading ingredients.

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:47:18 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  My enriched Rice Dream doesn't contain the carageen.  I'm chalking his burping up to newly drinking from a sippy cup and gulping.  Also, he's teething which is causing him problems in general.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:38:00 am »
I hope the problem resolves itself soon.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker