Author Topic: L.E.A.P. study  (Read 1150 times)

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: September 13, 2007, 20:16:04 pm »
Hi!  Was just wondering if anyone else's lo was participating in this peanut allergy study.  We've got our screening session on Monday (blood test, skin prick tests).

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: L.E.A.P. study
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 21:30:07 pm »
Never heard of it.  Details?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:03:47 am »
Hi.  It's being held out of the Evaline Hospital in London.  Basically, they're looking to see which provides better protection against the development of peanut allergy (linked to eczema and/or egg allergy):  early introduction & regular consumption of peanuts, or avoidance as per current UK recommendations.  Seems there is evidence that is some asian countries where peanut-based foods are eaten early on a regular basis there is a lower incidence rate.

My ds has eczema so we're going in for our screening on Monday.  As far as I'm aware, they'll do blood tests & skin prick tests to test for common food allergies (dairy, soya, egg & peanut I think).  If he's not allergic to peanuts, he'll be randomised into one of two groups:  avoid peanuts for 3-5 years, or eat peanut snacks 3xweek for 5 years starting asap.  Perversely I'm really hoping he's put into the second group, as they'll arrange for his first taste of nuts to be done under hospital supervision just in case.

After that, we only have to go up to hospital once a year.  We'll have weekly calls from a dietician until he's 1, then fortnightly calls until he's 2/3, to see how we're getting on with everything.  They'll retest him for allergies once a year at 3,4 &5 yrs I think.

Was just wondering if anyone else was involved in this, and how they found it?

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 15:35:19 pm »
Well, had Stephen's allergy tests done today.  He's allowed to participate in the study cause he came up negative for peanut allergy.  We go in again on Friday to find out which group he is going to be in.  Unfortunately, he is allergic to egg (raw & baked) and sesame, so guess I'll have to start looking for egg-free foods!