Author Topic: How fussy?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline carolynq

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 14, 2007, 21:19:30 pm »
I have eliminated diary and soy from my diet for about a month and a half after ds had bloody/mucousy stools.  The blood went away.  I haven't been super vigilant (still don't read labels too closely and haven't been able to avoid chocolate completely), but I've gotten rid of everything obvious.

I just tried soy milk recently and he's shown no blood yet, but he's been more fussy.  I suspect he's also teething, so I can't tell what is due to what.  He is usually the most laid back mellow fellow there is.  Now I feel like he's really whiny and is hard to get to sleep at night (he had only recently gotten good at that).  He isn't terrible, just not as mellow as before.  Is this likely just teething or should I try harder to eliminate all soy and dairy?

Thanks!
Carolyn

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: How fussy?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:36:18 am »
Abby is MSPI so I know how hard it is to read labels but once you have then you kindof know what to buy.  If you are going to totally eliminate milk and soy you really do have to read all the labels of what you eat.  I would probably go ahead and try to eliminate the soy milk and see how he does.  The majority of kiddos that are allergic/intolerant to milk are also to soy. 

HTH,

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:27 am »
I agree with the previous post. I t is definately worth totally eliminating it as with some even trace amounts of dairy and soy cause problems. Good luck as it is hard but you do get used to reading labels after a while.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline carolynq

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 20:53:07 pm »
Thanks.  I did eliminate the soy milk and he seems much happier.  I've also started to read labels, but soy lecithin is in EVERYTHING!  I've only had one shopping trip while reading every label, so I hope it will get easier as we eliminate things already in the house.  My husband is very supportive.

By the way, what kind of bread do you eat?  I just noticed the bread we brought home has some small amount of milk in it!

Carolyn

Offline motherof3

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 13:38:02 pm »
Yes, there is milk in a lot of bread.  Here you can get Nickles bread and it is milk free.  I don't know if it is available where you are.

Now, most babies can have soy lecithin and soy oil as they are fats and not proteins.  You can try it and see how he does.  It is really hard to find things without soy lecithin and soy oil.  If you need ideas of what is milk free I have a great food list but the items do contin soy oil and soy lecithin.  You can email be at sullivanak@yahoo.com

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline carolynq

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 19:51:14 pm »
If I can have soy lecithin and soy oils (does that include soybean oil?) that makes life much easier!  I was taking soy lecithin for blocked ducts, and now I can take it again.

I would be interested in that list, I will e-mail you.

Thanks!
Carolyn

Offline motherof3

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 20:00:24 pm »
yes, that does mean that you can have soybean oil.  Most kiddos do fine with it but some are still bothered by it.  You will just have to try it out.  I hate the trial and error!

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 20:24:55 pm »
Good luck. I hope your ds can tolerate soy lecithin and soy oils as it will make things much easier for you. If it were me though I would eliminate them at first until you get to baseline and then you can introduce soy lecithin and soy oil gradually into your diet and see if it makes a difference.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker