Author Topic: When to try Goat's M Yogurt for MSPI and immature gut?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
When to try Goat's M Yogurt for MSPI and immature gut?
« on: September 15, 2007, 14:07:22 pm »
My 11m ds is MSPI and couldn't tolerate any foods (even broke out with rice cereal at 6m) until 8m.  He now eats a lot of different foods.  However, I would like to introduce goat's milk yogurt and I'm just wondering about when is the best age to try it.

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: When to try Goat's M Yogurt for MSPI and immature gut?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 14:17:37 pm »
I would check with your ped, but I did goats milk at 9 months, another mom in my birth club started at 7 months, another at 11mths, and another (who's dd is mspi) at 13 mths or so. We have all had great success with it. The one who's dd has mspi is acutally doing ok with small amounts of regular yogurt and cheese now!
~Keri~

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:26:13 am »
What formula is your son on?  We switched Abby from Neocate to goat's milk at 14mos or so.  Once we know that she did okay on the milk then we have tried the yogurt and cheese but she doesn't really like either. ::)  Like Keri, said I would check with your pedi. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:59:44 am »
I have been breastfeeding exclusively because ds couldn't take hypo-allergenic formula and I didn't want to have the neocate affect his reflux.  I would have switched if there was another option.  I wasn't going to try Goat's milk since my ped. said that he would still be at a slight risk for reacting.   

Andrea- i thought that milks have more proteins than cheeses and yogurts which increase chances of a reaction.  So, i have introduced goat's milk yogurt over the last 2 mornings.  The plain is just nasty tasting in my opinion.  I mix it with pureed pear and ds gobbles it up.  I'm going to stick with it for 5 more mornings and see how he does. 

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:23:37 am »
I am glad your ds seems to be gdoing ok. I hope it continues that way.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:38:48 am »
I'm still not doing backflips, but DS is tolerating 4 oz of goat's milk yogurt each morning.  Today was day 6.  I have also put goat cheese into my diet this week and it seems ok.  The wierd thing is that I haven't had dairy in over 5 mo and the cheese is definitely more difficult to digest now. 

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 09:57:59 am »
I am so glad it is still going well ;D

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 02:48:35 am »
Not going so well.

DS had a break out of hives that I noticed when I was changing him for his pm nap.  They look like mosquito bites on his inner thighs.  They spread a bit more tonight.  There is one on his back and one on his toe and tiny ones on his trunk.  He doesn't have any on his arms.  He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable.  He did have a loose stool this afternoon which is so unusual since he eats tons of rice and rice bread.  Today was day 8 of giving him 1/2 cup of goats yogurt.  I'm thinking it may be the goat.  However, I have also introduced a lot of banana (which he used to react to at 5 m) and carrots over the last 3 days.  What food should I cut out tomorrow.  I was thinking maybe either all 3 or just the banana and carrot.  Or keep the goat in and see.  ???

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
UPDATED- When to try Goat's M Yogurt for MSPI and immature gut?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 14:30:19 pm »
 bump