Author Topic: Help with 2 year old - independent play?  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Lissybits

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
Re: Help with 2 year old - independent play?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 11:42:13 am »
I have the same problem with my 21mo DS - he won't play for more than 15 mins by himself. I start work at 3pm and have to make sure everthing is done and organised for when DH comes home and takes over.
We have a routine in the mornings. After breakfast and after we're dressed, I devote my time to playing with him and then at 10.30am (snack time) I cut up his fruit and he'll sit and watch a 'Thomas The Tank Engine' DVD while he munches on his fruit. During that I'm running round like a headless chicken doing laundry, tidying up and cooking lunch ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!
After about 30 mins he'll get bored and come and find me - but it's usually enough time to do the bare necessities.
Obviously, it's not absolutely ideal to "stick" him infront of the box, but it's the only thing that keeps him occupied for enough time for me to cook.
After the dinner is cooked, we always go out to the park or for a walk to work up a good appetite and tire him out for his after lunch nap, so then I don't feel soo bad!
But I would welcome alternative ideas to keep him busy!