Author Topic: Diary of a dreamfeed wean!  (Read 71660 times)

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:22 am »
FROM EMMALOU: This thread has been very informative and helpful with regards to dropping the dreamfeed, I hope this serves as some help for mothers who are deciding to drop it, as Lenas mum has had such a success following the recommended way to drop the DF.  Watch this space, she is down to one oz on the DF!

Hi Ladies,

Just thought I'd run this question by you since I'm not too sure what the right approach is here.

My LO turned 7 months today and I had planned to start weaning off the DF following Tracy's schedule in the book.
The problem now is, that since 4 days, my LO has only wanted to drink half of her bottles. I offer 3 x 180ml (6oz)-bottles per 24H (this includes the DF) + 1 x 120ml mixed with cereal.
Up untill 4 days ago, she drank most of this completely. She has always been a small drinker and has had several phases where she drinks reluctantly which we could solve by changing to faster teets, switching formula etc.

Her reluctance has never been this strong though and I'm unsure if weaning off the DF may now be poorly timed.
No matter what I try, she simply refuses to drink more than 120ml (tried a sippy cup, straw, offer 1 hour later etc)
Should I wait it out to see if this will pass and start weaning off the DF when she is back to drinking better?

My gut-feeling tells me to start offering less DF (she used to drain the DF but not since 4 days, even though she is always completely asleep during it) and then see what it does to her appetite over the course of a few days.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Sophie
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 20:48:06 pm by Emma lou »
L 6 years old, S 3 years old

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Hi Sophie,

It could definitelty be that the DF is affecting her appetite during the day - Is her morning bottle the same at the moment?

Also something to consider.  Could your lo be teething?  This could affect her intake as it can hurt her gums when sucking.  If you think she may be teething you could try rubbing some teething gel on her gums a few minutes before a feed to see if this helps ease the discomfort.

Are you on the fastest flow teat now?

HTH's let usknow how you get on.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie
Hi Paula, thanks for responding so quickly  :)

* I'm not sure if there are other teets availabe, I'm using the Avent no 3 at the moment. Will check the store tomorow.

* Teething : Not sure, she doesn't seem to be grizzly otherwise but we've had some NW so maybe she is. I'll try the gel this evening and see if it makes a difference. Her solids are going very well so you may be onto something!

If she keeps this bad drinking up, do you think I can start making the DF smaller?

Thanks,

Sophie

Offline * Paula *

Hi Sophie,

When our DS was on Avent bottles, in the UK they went up to a size 4 - so would be worth seeing if you can get them in this size.  When this eventually got too small for our DS we used a steralised pin to make an extra hole in the teats and this also did the trick.  Although the teats to not last as long when you make an extra hole, and will need replacing sooner.

With regards to the teething gel, it might be worth a try to see how things go.

I would definitely consider starting to reduce the DF to see if this makes any difference.

Good luck.  Please keep usposted on how things go.

Paula

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie

I will try to find the No.4 later today, thanks for the tip.

Last night, I offered 120ml + 4 scoops of milk for the DF and she drank it all. This is about 1 scoop less than what she drank for the past 4 days for the DF so I guess weīve started weaning! Iīm very excited about it since I do think she is ready.
She slept very well last night but drank poorly again this morning.
Iīm sure it will take a few days for her appetite to go up but so far so good.

Iīll keep you posted if thatīs ok  :)

Sophie

em_here

Hi there, I had to wean the DF slowly as DD would refuse her morning bottle if she took it.  Paula has given you some great advice, Good luck  :-*

Offline * Paula *

I am pleased that she slept so well for you.  That is fantastic.

I agree with Emma, it may take a bit of time for her appetite to increase during the day, however the #4 teat may change that too.

Please do keep us posted.

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie

Iīll use this thread as my weaning DF-logg if thatīs ok, it may help others in the future too?

Last night  at 6.30pm (after our first night with a smaller DF), she drank 200ml, almost a full bottle! So that was great.
That same evening, I offered a 4 scoop/120ml DF again and she stopped drinking after 100ml.

She had a great night with only 1 weird NW at 1am but she resettled soon (5 mins) and then slept on untill 6.30am, after a solid 11 hours of sleep. Very pleased with that!

This morning, she still only drank 120 ml though. Tried to add cereal to the rest of the bottle and feed it with a spoon but she refused after 2 bites.

I still havenīt found the no4, will check some other stores later today.

Sophie

em_here

Hi Sophie, log away, sometimes it is better to keep a log, so that you can see any patterns that may develop.  It may take some time for your lo to increase that morning bottle, only time will tell

Great news on last night  :-* :-*

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie

Last night and this morning were the same as yesterday.
She drank a full bottle right before bed, 120ml at DF and then a half bottle this morning. She did accept a yogurt 1,5 hours later though so her appetite seems to have gone up.
She had an excellent night without any NW.

Sophie

Offline * Paula *

Re: Can I start weaning off the DF when my LO drinks reluctantly during the day?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 12:30:19 pm »
Sophie - Great idea about keeping a log for weaning the DF - It will definitely help others.

Sounds like Lena is doing fantastically.

Great Job - Please keep us posted.

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie
Re: Can I start weaning off the DF when my LO drinks reluctantly during the day?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 11:40:51 am »
Night 4 : 90ml/3 scoops DF, good night without NW

Morning Day 5 : Drank a full bottle!  :)

She woke up an hour earlier than normal though (6am) , and was clearly hungry so I fed her, is that ok?
I fed her, she drank a full bottle and then was clearly tired ( i treated this feed as a nightfeed since it was before our getting-up time) so I let her sleep untill she woke up and she slept untill 8.15am when we started our day.

Hoping that, in a few days, she will be able to sleep a little longer again.

Sophie

em_here

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 11:54:14 am »
Hi there, you did great, yes its fine to feed her if she is clearly hungry, is great you got that bit extra sleep. sounds like weaning the DF is really working for you  :-*

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 14:02:04 pm »
That is fantastic news - Glad things are going so well.

Even better that you got a few extra hours sleep  ;) ;D

Keep us psoted.

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 10:56:13 am »
Night 5 : 90ml/3 scoops DF and LOTS of NWīs with tossing and turning, whining etc. Mommy is tired today!

Morning Day 6 : Awake at 6am for food again, she drained her bottle (yay) but then didnīt go back to sleep like she did yesterday and decided that she was UP! Ack! A crappy morning nap followed and she is now mid-lunchnap so hopefully she will make it a good, long one  ::)

Sophie