Author Topic: Diary of a dreamfeed wean!  (Read 71643 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Diary of a dreamfeed wean!
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2007, 08:20:52 am »
Wish I had the same desire to play instead of eat  :D

;D I hear  you on that one.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline benandmichelle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2008, 13:11:02 pm »
Hi all, This thread has been really helpful. I haven't had time to read all the posts but has anyone out there gone cold turkey on the dream feed and what were the results? I just can't imaging that keeping waking him earlier and earlier and less and less milk will really work for us. His night wakigns are all over the place anyway but the df definatly needs to go. He refuses his morning bottle every day.

Michelle
The simplest and most obvious cause which can there be assigned for any phenomena, is probably the true one. (David Hume, 1737)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2008, 13:19:35 pm »
Michelle, if your lo is still having night wakings - do you feed him or do you just re-settle?

Are you actually waking your lo for the DF?  The DF is best done while your lo is still asleep.

Offline Lisel

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2008, 14:45:19 pm »
Well, I need help too with the DF. But I'm not even sure what is screwing everything up. Connor jus will not eat more than 4 oz/feed during the day. Last night he woke up at 9:30 and 2:30 seeming to want to eat, DH fed him but then of course he wouldn't drink more than 4 oz. for his morning bottle. I'm not sure what to do. I don't think he'll resettle at night without a lot of crying or a bottle, but then it's just a vicious cycle. Should I just stuff him full of solids to help him make it through the night? Just let him cry? because feeding him is making him worse. Growth spurt? Except i think he had one last week! He's 8.5 months and is capable of dropping dream feed, but we haven't been able to. Any advice?
Corwin's Mum

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2008, 20:55:08 pm »
Hugs Lisel, sorry you are having such a rough time.

Can you post what your routine looks like, including solid amounts etc, so that we can have a look at it for you.  At 8.5 months, your lo should be able to go through the night without a feed.

Offline Lisel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2008, 23:01:33 pm »
I agree he should and he has done it in the past. This is what he looked like before.
7 am 6-8oz bottle
8 solids-maybe half a cup of cereal mixed with fruit
11-6-8 oz bottle
12 lunch-few tbsp
3 bottle
5 supper
usually by 6-6:30 bottle and bed
df around 11

now he won't eat more than 4 oz and it's a fight. sometimes i cut out a solid meal so that his next bottle will be emptied but it never seems to work. I'll see how tonight goes. maybe i should be cutting out a bottle, but I can't see cutting out the df until he starts finishing off his other bottles. Am I feeding him too much solids? I just don't know anymore.
Corwin's Mum

Offline grahamsmama

• Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2008, 23:34:54 pm »
How many ounces would you say he's doing right now? How long has he been refusing to eat more than 4 oz?  Is it a new thing?  Could it be teeth?  Does he have any problems with reflux?  Sorry for so many questions!  I don't think it's too much solids.  He should be getting about 24 oz of formula. 

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11:08 am »
I agree with grahamsmama, it does not seem to be too much solids, it could quite possibly be teething, this would explain the night wakings.  Is he showing any signs of teething?

Offline Lisel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2008, 14:57:10 pm »
Not really any signs of teething. But who knows. It's been at least a week or two I think. I guess he is still getting around 24-30 oz. His first four bottles would be 3, his fourth sometimes all 8 oz, and the df is usually 8 oz. So about 28 oz. It was just such a asudden thing, from 40 oz to 28oz. And then he started waking up at night for a few nights. So maybe first I need to get rid of the df which I have been wanting to do for a while?
Corwin's Mum

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2008, 16:00:05 pm »
Hey lisel!
I could have posted the same as you at 8.5mo.  DD was waking super early in the morning, refusing bottles during the day, not eating much solids, taking a good bedtime bottle and really good DF.  Weaning was the best thing we did -you can read about it somewhere in this thread :)  We did the gradual reduction in oz 30min earlier every 3 nights.  So she'd been taking a 6oz bottle at 10, and the next three nights I did 5oz at 9:30, next three nights-4oz at 9 etc. until the DF was gone.  Once we got about half way there I seem to remember noticing an increase in daytime appetite, and once it was completely dropped - dd started sleeping later in the mornings - Before her average wake up was around 6, not it's more like 7 or 7:30!!!  Fabulous!  Best thing I ever did, my advice would be to go for it.  If you do it gradually it will give your lo time to compensate by upping the daytime calories.  Good luck!!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2008, 22:31:45 pm »
I agree with Vadensmommy.

The DF can actually cause more nightwakings.  Definintely give it a go and see how you get on.

Please keep us posted.

Offline benandmichelle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2008, 12:24:36 pm »
Hi all,

well it has been a week now since the df went. I have to say....night wakings haven't stopped BUT....the have not worsened. There has been little difference generally to sleep EXCEPT...he now drinks everty bottle up during the day and 3 small meals too. Feeding has seen a dramatic improvement.
All I can say is....do it!! I can't believe I waited so long.- The signs were there at least 6 weeks ago.

Good luck all

Michelle
The simplest and most obvious cause which can there be assigned for any phenomena, is probably the true one. (David Hume, 1737)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2008, 15:15:02 pm »
Fantastic Michelle  ;D

I do hope the sleep improves for you soon  :-*

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2008, 20:09:16 pm »
Good work Michelle!
If nothing else, not having to fight to feed vaden was worth it all for me :)
I hope you get a break during the night soon!!

Offline benandmichelle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2008, 08:53:00 am »
Thanks guys!!