Author Topic: Still MSPI?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline berryfish

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 20, 2007, 17:59:38 pm »
Hello,

My DD has mild MSPI in that she got eczema on her face.  She is BF and once I figured it out and cut dairy and soy from my diet, it went away (around 2-3 months old).  She is now 9 months.

Tried yogurt this week with her.  She had some spit up & poos that smelled really bad, but otherwise seemed fine on the 3rd day.  I was only giving her a few tsp each day.  Does this indicate that she still has an intolerance and I should stop and wait to introduce until later?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 00:48:20 am by berryfish »

Offline berryfish

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 00:51:26 am »
Just wanted to try again see if anyone has any idea about this?

I stopped it and then retried.  Sometimes she hardly has any, but it seems like when she has a bit more, there is the foul smelling spit ups.  Other than that she seems okay.  She is also teething now as well.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Still MSPI?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:31:51 am »
I would stop for now and retry when your dd is not teething. I think it is possible that she still has an intolerance to it but this way you can be sure that it is definately the yogurt causing the problem.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

em_here

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:39:42 am »
I agree with Jimbob, I would try again after the teething, as teething can cause these awful poos!  But from what you decribe your lo does still sound like she is having problems, my lo goes like this if she is ever given dairy  :-*

Offline berryfish

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 14:53:36 pm »
I stopped it and then tried again after her teeth popped out.  This time, no stinky spit ups, but she had some sort of white jelly looking stuff in one of her poos after two days (she had a little more that day too). Sorry if TMI!  :-\   Is this what is meant by mucousy poos?  So does this mean she is still sensitive, if so, when should I try it again?  In a months time? Longer?  Would it be better to try cheese instead of yogurt? 

Sorry for all of the questions.  When I mentioned to DD's doctor about my milk intake being connected to her eczema, I could tell she was skeptical of what I was saying and said to just watch her but that I should start feeding yogurt and cheese now.

Thanks!

Offline Jocasta

• Want to support the wonderful Woopsters? PM me to find out how!
  • Showing Appreciation 219
  • Want a What Would Woopster Do wristband - pm me!
    • Woopster Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 15:12:39 pm »
Is this what is meant by mucousy poos? 

I believe it is.  I personally would wait a month and try again.  Are the funny nappies the only side affect?

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 18:56:53 pm »
I would wait longer to be honest, possibly around 6 months. Obviously its a personal decision though and your dd may be fine with dairy or cheese in a month or so. I have heard that trying hard cheese first can be better than trying yogurt so if you want to try again sooner it might be worth trying cheese.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline berryfish

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 14:26:27 pm »
Thank you so much for your replies!

I was hoping that she would have outgrown it by now, since her reaction through BF was relatively mild.  I'm worried now about going back to work.   I was planning to wean the middle two BFs in the next few months as I hoped her dairy intake would help compensate.  I plan to keep the morning and evening BF, but if she can't have dairy and soy by then, how will she get enough calcium?  I was hoping to avoid formula and I don't really want to have to go through the whole finding one that she doesn't react to thing at this point.

Thanks again!