Author Topic: I'm so paranoid about choking!!!  (Read 1896 times)

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
I'm so paranoid about choking!!!
« on: September 25, 2007, 18:04:56 pm »
About 3 weeks ago I tried giving a piece of bread to my 8 mo and was sitting right in front of him as he gummed and sucked on it. He did make gagging sounds from time to time but I didn't worry as heard this is normal. However suddenly he opened his mouth oddly and started turning red, at which point i hoisted him out of his high chair, held him upside down and stuck my finger in his throat to pull the bread out. In retrospect he did have a cold so I am wondering if that also made it harder to breathe? But in any case I was absolutely trembling for about an hour after that and have been so freaked out about choking that I'm scared to introduce more foods besides purees.

Can any of you help put my mind at ease about choking hazards and feeding finger foods? I've been reading the BLW thread and the recipes thread and thinking Yikes, I can't even get past a lil old square of bread and you guys are feeding chicken marsala, I better get moving here ;D  Also even the really common foods such as cheerios seem small and easy to choke on so I've been hesitant to even offer them. I know I'm just paranoid but knowing more about why I shouldn't worry so much would really help  ::) ;) thanks

Mom to Luke (2007) and Dylan (2009)

em_here

Re: I'm so paranoid about choking!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 18:05:50 pm »
Oh that must have been so scary, have you offered other things before? Or was this the first time?

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 18:52:52 pm »
What a frightening thing to happen! Like with all new experiences, learning how to successfully bite, chew and swallow finger foods will take ds a bit of practice to master, and sometimes it doesn't go according to plan (like gagging or even choking) but you did exactly the right thing by sitting there with him as he ate, and stepping in to help him when it went wrong!

What I would say is that he's got to master lumpy bits at some point, and that the safest way to do this is to let him feed them to himself, so that he is in control of what he puts in his mouth rather than someone else putting lumpy bits in for him! What you have to do is be on hand in case anything does go wrong again, but avoid anxiously watching for it, because they're pretty observant these los, and he'll spot your worry and may even react to it by worrying himself, which you don't want!

A couple of things that might help you to relax...

...start with finger foods that dissolve easily in the mouth, my first post in the Finger Foods for Young Babies thread in Recipes has some suggestions, but also soggy cereals such as shreddies, cheerios, miniwheats, cornflakes can be good too!

...attend a basic first aid for children course in your local area, I think the St John's Ambulance run them, or even your local health visiting service might, this will give you the confidence to deal with it should it happen again!

...eat with him, that way he'll watch what you do and learn it quicker than if he eats at a special time on his own.

Others will have more ideas, but hope this is a start point?

Ax
Alison x

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 19:00:40 pm »
That must have been so scary.  It does happen though and it happened to mine.  If it happens again, don't put your fingers in to try to dislodge it, you could force it further, just give a sharp slap at the top of the back, between the shoulder blades.  It should dislodge itself then.

A basic first aid course does ease your mind and help you to deal with every day situations.  Take obvious precautions like breaking food into small pieces, and always cut grapes in half.  Softer, crumblier biscuits are easier to eat, bread I found a little harder and it did get stuck sometimes.  Banana is good, also I liked grated cheese.
Think about foods that crumble and break up easier in the mouth, if you imagine bread it would sort of congeal and turn into a dough when wet.

HTH (hope I explain myself ok!)

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 19:14:05 pm »
That's a scary thing to have happen, but you were there and everything turned out alright. 

My DD is almost 9 months now, and she does pretty well with the finger foods and eating chunks of food.  I've not be overly concerned about choking, as I know it's a natural reflex and is going to happen (I still choke on things sometimes!), but at the same time, I am there to supervise her. 

Just start small.  Cheerios breakdown pretty fast in the mouth.  Rice, steamed veggies or fruits cut into small chunks etc...  Something like sweet potato is so soft and just mushes right away.   Just start small and work up to things.  I know it was a scare, but he'll be okay.  :)

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 13:18:12 pm »
thanks for the advice. emma lou that was the first time i gave bread, but he's had other things such as rice cakes, veg sticks, etc

so is it instinctual to suck on things that go into their mouths? alison you also suggested cheerios and i keep thinking that such a small cereal would be something he might swallow easily ???

i'm investigating first aid courses so thanks for the advice ;)

Offline Freya'sMum

• 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 18:50:02 pm »
alison you also suggested cheerios and i keep thinking that such a small cereal would be something he might swallow easily ???

Well that's ok isn't it? You want him to swallow them, just not to choke on them - both my girls, once they'd got the hang of moving lumps about in their mouths and swallowing, swallowed the most enormous pieces of food without even bothering to try to chew them (laziness ::)) - I still find whole chunks of pepper, grape, raisins etc in #2's poos where she hasn't chewed before swallowing, and I know that she swallows whole pasta spirals in her haste to consume them (they're her favourite, especially when covered in pesto!).

Soggy cereals, I mean things like shreddies and cheerios well-soaked in milk, will just disintegrate when placed in the mouth, so I can't imagine them being a choking hazard really.

Ax
Alison x

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 20:16:27 pm »

I still find whole chunks of pepper, grape, raisins etc in #2's poos
;D ;D

ok i guess you're right, i will start slowly with small, soaked cereals and have him try to get the hang of it a bit more.  in terms of finger foods such as veggies and fruits, how big should they be? long sticks that he can hold and gnaw on, or better to cut into tiny cheerio-sized pieces?

Offline Freya'sMum

• 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 18:53:47 pm »
In terms of finger foods such as veggies and fruits, how big should they be? Long sticks that he can hold and gnaw on, or better to cut into tiny cheerio-sized pieces?

Depends on his pincer grip... if ds can pick things up independently with a pincer grip (thumb and forefinger) he should be able to manange things such as cheerios and garden peas etc, but if he's not got that yet (they all develop at different rates, so he may or may not have yet) then sticks he can claw grasp and hold in his fist while he gnaws on the bit sticking out would work best!

Ax
Alison x