Author Topic: Need suggestions on what to try next  (Read 688 times)

Offline mj_romo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need suggestions on what to try next
« on: October 02, 2007, 00:51:37 am »
My DD is 1wk short of 7mo.  She's been on solids for 1 month; in the last 10 days we've worked up to 3 meals a day.  She's had (in the following order): peaches, pears, avocado, carrots, sweet potato, banana, watermelon, squash, peas, prunes, cantaloupe, and applesauce.  No reactions to any of these, but she clearly did not like carrots or bananas.

I know these are sort of the standards, and I'm not sure what to try next.  We're holding off on cereal until 8mo (new studies linking early cereal feeding to increased risk of diabetes 2 & PCOS, both of which are already risks in my family - I have PCOS).  I would like to try some more "exotic" foods like hummus (light on the garlic) and eggplant, but I'm not entirely sure how to prepare these.  I'd also like to try cactus pears, asian pears, mango & papaya, but I'm not sure about preparing these.

And, now that she's had all of those standards, I can mix them, right?  Like, she could have squash & peas together?  Suggestions for combos?
Mandy & Will
married March 2003
Samantha born March 7, 2007

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Need suggestions on what to try next
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:40:25 am »
Hi Mandy,

Mango went over really well when Claire was a baby. I cut the meat from the fruit and baked it for a little while to really soften it, then I threw it in the blender and made a puree.  I would wait a little while on hummus or at least make it yourself and don't use tahini. I think sesame paste might be something she shouldn't have at her age.   :-\   Eggplant didn't go over well with Claire.  I cut the skin off and baked it in milk to soften and then (you guessed it) pureed.  She hated it.

You can mix anything you want.  Claire would eat the nastiest combos but wouldn't eat what I put together.  ::)
You can also do greens.  Claire loved spinach as a baby.  I bought fresh baby spinach and cooked it with a little bit of olive oil and  ;) pureed.  I couldn't believe it but she loved it and she really loved it mixed with blueberries...Gag!

Good luck and have fun.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

zed

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:12:05 am »
As For fresh fruit I just blended ripe fruit and served.  My boys both loved fruit that way. 

As for what to feed your LO next.  Here in Canada, they have lifted all recommendations.  Apparently they are encouraging babies to be started on chicken and beef at 6 months.  To prepare meats all you do is boil or broil the meat until done, put into a blender and add some potato water until you get the consistency your are looking for.  The only guide lines that are left here are, dairy at 1 year, egg whites (I think, better check on that) 1 year, peanut butter around 2 years.  Other wise they are saying it doesn't matter as long as you wait between each new foods to watch for allergies.

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 13:42:44 pm »
My little one, loves Lentils. I boil them with a tiny bit of flavouring like cumin or corriander powder and a tiny tiny amount of turmeric. (Turmeric is a great natural antiseptic, so very good for any bruises or bumps which they are bound to get when they start exploring about now!)

Boil them till they are well cooked and completly mushy and feed him lentils mixed with baby rice and/or mushed veggies as well. It provides a little texture as well, hwihc he loves.

I tend to cook yellow lentils or yellow split peas etc, which are far easie rthan the whole beans.

Hope this helps!
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!