Author Topic: What shall we introduce first? MSPI  (Read 2451 times)

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
What shall we introduce first? MSPI
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:05:23 pm »
Leorah is 1 on Friday and we just had  her allergy results back and she has no allergies  ;D ;D ;D

I am tempted to start trying dairy with her but will be avoiding milk. What I'd really like to try is some cheese, it would make meals so much easier but I am nervous. I think there are certain cheeses that are easier to tolerate for MSPI kids, does anyone know what kinds they are? How shall I go about it, I was thinking of putting a sprinkle of cheese on her pasta or veggies, is this a good idea?

Has anyone got a LO that grew out of their milk intolerance by a year?

TIA, Katt  :)
Katt

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:57:12 pm »
Ds grew out of MSPI by 1 year.  I started by putting dairy back in my diet at 11 months (I was bfing.)  Then I'd give ds a spoon of yogurt a day for about a week.  Then a sprinkle of cheese for a week (don't actually know which ones are better to start with).  Around 14 months, I put one ounce of whole milk in his Nutramigen formula.  We did that for a week.  The next week, I mixed in 2 ounces, etc.  The whole process took a long time, but at least I didn't have to worry about cooking with butter or margarine, or letting him have food at someone else's house.  We started soy again much later, mostly as an ingredient in boxed foods.  Only recently has he had a substantial amount of soy sauce at one time.  Good luck, Katt.  :)

em_here

Re: What shall we introduce first? MSPI
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 14:15:08 pm »
Hi there, and good luck. My dietician said when we evetually start Abbi on dairy, it will be best to try some hard cheese, like red leicester, chedder etc. She says that this is usually easier to tolerate than full on milk/yoghurt

HTH a little, and again good luck! :-* :-*

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:26:10 am »
Thanks Kim and Emma Lou  :) I am so hoping she is ok now especially as she has decided to drop her bedtime bottle, she took less and less this week and then spat it out last night  ::) We have some disolable calcium pills for her so it isn't a big problem.

It's her birthday on Friday so I want her to enjoy that and then I think on Saturday I will put a small sprinkle of cheese on her dinner and see how it goes. Wow I'm nervous, I hate it when she's in pain!

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes  :)
Katt

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:14:46 am »
I think putting a small sprinkle of cheese on pasta will be a great way to start. I have heard also that hard cheeses are supposed to be better. I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it all goes well.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:58:12 am »
So far so good, a sprinkle of cheese on Saturday nights pasta and its now Monday morning no wind, normal nappies, no spit up and no night wakings ....yippee....more cheese tonight  ;D ;D ;D
Katt

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:57:05 am »
Good luck

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 05:08:02 am »
It's all continuing to go well...yeah  ;D ;D ;D

I am going to stick with cheddar this week but what next? :-\ I was thinking of trying her with some pate which has milk listed as an ingredient, what do you think? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Katt  :)
Katt

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:19:23 am »
I guess it would probably depend how high up on the list it was to be honest. Yogurt is also a possibility. I will keep thinking and let you know if I come up with anything.

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 12:29:50 pm »
It's quite low down. Thanks Jimbob  ;)
Katt

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 15:31:53 pm »
Hi Katt,

I'm glad to hear things are going well!  :)  Just wondering when was the last time you tried dairy with L and had a reaction before this? What were her reactions? My DD is just over 9 months now and has had a mild reaction to yogurt when we tried it.  We've stopped giving it for now.  Are you giving L any goat products or rice milk or anything as well?  (Sorry for all the questions!  :))

Donna

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:24 am »
Hi Donna, funnily enough we are pretty sure Leorah reacted to cream in some dregs of coffee she drank about a month before her 1st birthday, we didnt give her the coffee she just helped herself  ::) She has a very churny tummy that was keeping her awake at night with lots of pulling up of the knees and also some pain during the day.

She is now drinking rice milk but we havent tried any goat products, our allergist told us they would give the same reaction as cows products. I know yoghurt is supposed to be easier to digest than milk but I think cheese is even easier to tolerate, my theory for L is to leave anything that resembles milk until last so that's yoghurt and cream cheese. Perhaps you could try something with hidden dairy or maybe the same as me and sprinkle a small amount of hard cheese over dinner? At 9 months L would still react to hidden dairy I have eaten accidently through my BM so the change has been very quick but I think the gut fully matures at 11 months so maybe this is why she is ok now. Let us know how you go  :)
Katt

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 20:09:27 pm »
Thanks!  It's good to know that things could improve within a few months.  DD doesn't seem to react to my small intake of dairy.  I've been venturing out with a bit more cheese and yogurt lately and so far so good.  I think you are on to something with the resembling milk thing.  I will try cheese first when the time comes.  Have you given L anything with milk in cooking or baking?  I have heard it's easier to tolerate this way... 

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 07:10:58 am »
No, I haven't made anything that has milk as a pure ingredient yet, I'm a bit scared lol! Leorah used to react to stuff through my BM that had dried milk powder low down as an ingredient and it was so hard as they seem to put it in everything here in Denmark. I have only introduced cheddar, parmesan and butter. I want to try pate that has milk as an ingredient but I am nervous, I have to do it though so maybe I'll try this weekend, I'm sure she will probably be ok...

If you have been able to reintroduce things back into your diet I'd say that is looking pretty positive. I ate some pizza when Leorah was 8 months (on my birthday!) and she reacted badly and suffered for about 5 days. Maybe you can start introducing dairy back into your diet? I do know another mum that has a DS that was dairy intolerant at birth and he is the same age as L and he has been having cows milk since 6 months with no problem so it does happen that they can outgrow these intolerances at an early age  ;) :)
Katt