Author Topic: Cot question  (Read 854 times)

Offline mumofiz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:42 am »
Hi,

have just started teaching my 4 month old daughter to go to sleep in her cot for daytime naps (previously lots of jigging followed by sleep in swing chair or pushchair). I also use the cot as somewhere for her to play safely while I grab a shower/tidy up etc once or twice a day. Will she be confused if I continue to do this? Should the cot be a place to sleep only?

Thanks  :)

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: Cot question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:38:52 am »
No, she'll associate her cot with happy things if she plays in there.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:48:35 am »
Hi,

From my own experience it's a good idea to encourage your LO to play a little in the cot as well as sleep there. Not for long periods of times, but just so that they are comfortable and happy in there. DS is 16 months now, and doesn't really play in there any more, but I used to play games with him in there, or sit him there with his toys for short periods of time. The result has been that he's is happy to be in his cot. With a busy schedule and returning to work it's been a god-send that our DS just chatters / sings etc until I go in and get him in the mornings. Like you say, it gives you a few minutes to grab a shower or do something while they are somewhere out of harm's way.  We also found that it also helped our DS with self soothing / resettling when he woke up at night in the early months. He would coo and play and then fall back asleep rather than scream the house down.

You hear stories about kids that literally buck-aroo and scream when their parents walk them past  :o the cot, let alone put them in it, so it makes sense for her to associate it with being a happy, secure place to be, rather than somewhere she just goes to sleep. So I'd say you're totally on the right track.  ;D

Rachel. x

Offline mumofiz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 14:52:24 pm »
That's a relief, Thank you  ;D