Author Topic: Egg replacers  (Read 1545 times)

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: October 08, 2007, 17:05:03 pm »
Hi.  My ds has recently been diagnosed with an allergy to both raw & cooked egg.  I was given a list of egg replacers, but was wondering if anyone had any experience using them?  Is one perhaps better than the other?  And any suggestions as to where I could buy them?

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Egg replacers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 19:01:55 pm »
We have used orgran egg replacer when baking cakes and it seemed to work ok. I have heard that you can use apple sauce as a replacement aswell when baking cakes. There is also a oil and baking soda replacement can't quite remember the amounts to replace an egg I will have a luck soon.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 19:10:24 pm »
Here is some information I have just found, hope it helps.

Any of the following are equivalent to 1 egg (select the proper replacement by determining the function of egg in recipe- i.e. binder, or emulsifier, etc...) Note: The replacement that works well in one application may not work well in a different application.

Also Note- Egg substitutes sold in most supermarkets do contain egg products and should not be confused with egg replacements (Ener-G Egg Replacer is egg free.)

1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon canola (or other cooking oil) oil + 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 teaspoon tapioca or potato or corn starch- Combine using a whisk in a medium sized bowl, the ingredients will expand. Allow to stand five minutes, and whisk again before adding.

Note: If replacing egg whites, omit oil

1/ 4 teaspoon agar powder + 1 / 4 cup water + 1 teaspoon baking powder- Whisk before adding to recipe

1-1/2 teaspoons of Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 2 tablespoons of water

1 / 2 tablespoon agar flakes + 1 / 4 cup water + 1 teaspoon baking powder- In a microwave safe container, combine water and agar; cook on high for 45 seconds. Carefully remove and whisk baking powder into mixture. Use caution, the baking powder causes a rapid expansion of the liquid and has a tendency to foam over.

1 /4 cup tofu (whipped in blender or beaten prior to adding to recipe)

1 tablespoon flaxseed meat plus 3 tablespoons water replaces one egg (combine and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes, or until gelantized)

1 /4 cup banana or other fruit puree (whipped or beaten)

2 tablespoons liquid + 1 tablespoon potato or tapioca starch + 1 /2 tablespoon shortening + 3 /4 teaspoon baking powder

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water + 2
tablespoons boiling water (beat until foamy and thickened)

1 tablespoon canola or other mild flavored oil + 1 tablespoon apple cider or wine vinegar + 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 teaspoon starch + enough carbonated water to equal 1 /4 cup (combine in a medium size bowl- the ingredients will increase in volume as baking soda and vinegar react. Whisk, then add per instructions.

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 17:23:04 pm »
Oh wow, Jimbob!  I had no idea egg replacers/substitutes were going to be so complicated.  Thank you for your advice, though I have to admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed now.  lol.  I've never been the best of cooks, and only vaguely know what some of those ingredients are!  And, this may be a silly question, but how will I know the role of the egg in a recipe?  :D

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 18:34:48 pm »
I have only used egg replacers when baking cakes really. We have used orgran for this and also the fruit puree but I added some apple cider vinegar aswell.

To be honest at this stage you may be better trying one of the shop bought egg replacers as you have commented that you are not a great cook, though sure that is not true.

I am going to start trying a few different ones and see what works best for our recipes.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 18:40:56 pm »
I forgot to add if it is for binding it will be in recipes like meatballs, burgers etc and for emulsifying(sp?) it will be in recipes for cakes etc. Hope that helps shed some light on the situation could not really think of a better way to explain it but will keep thinking.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 19:24:52 pm »
This looks like an easy egg replacer to follow

My favorite is the water/vegetable oil/baking powder mixture.

As a rule of thumb, to substitute for 1 egg in a baked goods recipe, mix together 1-1/2 tablespoons water, 1-1/2 tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon baking powder.

For 2 eggs, use 3 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons baking powder.

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 15:14:21 pm »
Thanks soooo much Jimbob!  You are a superstar for explaining this so well to me.  And yes, I am definitely not the best of cooks.  Generally, dh does most of it for us, but I tend to do little man's stuff.  So far I've stuck mainly to veggie stuff, but would like to try and get more meat into him.  Hence the request, as most of my cooking abilities so far are limited to burger type stuff.  lol.  Sorry to be a pain again though, but is there one you'd recommend then for binding?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 18:56:31 pm »
I have not really used egg replacers for binding to be honest as James did not really get past the pureed food stage apart from raisins. He also used to have breadsticks before we discovered his wheat allergy. Most of my experience of egg replacers comes from experimenting with cakes for James's birthday. However I have looked on the internet and a mum had posted this information for egg replacers for binding (she also claims not to be a good cook). I hope it helps.

To replace eggs that are used for binding, such as in burgers or loaves, try:
* Mashed potato.   
* Quick cooking rolled oats.
* Cooked oatmeal.
* Fine breadcrumbs
* Tomato paste

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:32:45 am »
Thanks James.  I'll let you know how we get on!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:40:33 pm »
Hope it works ok for you. My name is Kelly by the way James is my sons name, I guess I should put it at the end of my posts.

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 17:52:34 pm »
Oops!  I had noticed that James was your son...don't know why I typed it as your name!  Soooo sorry, Kelly!!!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 18:47:38 pm »
Don't worry its not a problem.