Author Topic: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!  (Read 131512 times)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 23:45:49 pm »
I agree with the poster who said we should try to teach our kids to eat fruits and veggies, but I get the idea that this is an overall better way to eat in general.  I think Jessica said that she still serves the whole veggie with the meal just so the kids know that there is nothing wrong with eating vegetables.  That's what I do now, even though dd (nor dh  ::)) eat them.
I can't wait to try these.  I'm going to print off the one's on Oprah and test them before buying the whole book. 
I never steam anything.  Any tips?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 00:06:56 am »
How did I miss the post about offering the veggies as "normal"?  Oh - I guess when they merged - I havent'' read through the whole thing.  Anyway, that's funny because I was thinking the same thing.  We all know that college kids aren't going to take the time to puree up their veggies - they're going to eat what's familiar and what they like. 

But my thought of it being a problem was quickly dismissed because I have no intention of not serving veggies the usual way and offering new food choices.  I think this is a great way to increase the servings of veggies (esp. during the toddler years when pickiness is at its peak). 

Heather - I usually steam things in a pot on the stove - put the washed veggies in (cut them into uniform pieces) and add a little bit of water, just to coat the bottom of the pan (maybe a half inch?).  The idea is to add enough water so that it doesn't evaporate while cooking.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat a bit (I usually go to about medium), cover and steam until tender.  Keep an eye on it and make sure that the water doesn't evaporate.  another way to do it is if you have a steamer basket (you lose less nutrients to the water this way).  Set up the same way as above, but instead of putting the veggies directly into the pot, place in the basket.  Put the basket in the pot so they don't touch the water, cover and steam.

So we had the blueberry bars and they were AWESOME!  Totally couldn't taste the spinach at all - dh couldn't even tell and he loved them (before AND after I told him what was in them!).

Offline Maximum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 00:28:39 am »
Oooh, I cant wait to try the blueberry bars this weekend!!!

I am going to try the meatloaf tonite--I am intending to put some spinach puree in it. I have tried putting frozen spinach in before but ds can spot anything green and pick it out! So I am hoping that this will hide it. I will say that ds helped me steam and puree the broccoli the other night when we made the chix nuggets...he actually then ate some of my spinach salad--claimed his salad taste bud came in that night ::)

I found it so interesting when Dr. Oz was talking about how many taste buds children have vs. adults and why kids tend to refuse veggies and their tastes...makes complete sense!

I will let you all know how it turns out!
Kate and Max (2-8-03)

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 00:29:51 am »
Boy, there is a big brouhaha about J. Seinfield "stealing" these recipes from another author.  Any know much about the other book?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2007, 00:34:42 am »
The other book is the Sneaky Chef.  I don't think the recipes are the same--just the puree concept.  When reading reviews on Amazon I noticed comparisons between the two, but that's all I know.