Author Topic: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!  (Read 131556 times)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: "Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2011, 22:51:33 pm »
i freeze in ziplocks that i lay flat - i do 1/4c, 1/2c or 1c depending on the purees and which recipes i use (not just DD) so i tend to do 1/2c or 1c of mashed banana which i use in a pancake recipe or a muffin recipe, 1/4c of orange veg, purple puree (for sneaky chef's brownies which are a staple for alex who is my picky eater - they have blueberries, spinach and lots of wheatgerm and i add protein powder - my other secret weapon that i add to everything).  the recipe is available on her site along with quite a few other ones.

meant to say about Sneaky chef - i have a large container that i keep on hand with her flour mix - 1/3 each of plain flour, wholemeal flour and wheatgerm.  i often just use wholemeal flour in recipes but where i think it might be too much i use the flour blend.  wheatgerm is great for them.  and like i said i add protein powder too.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2011, 22:54:10 pm »
Deb - what kind of protein powder do you use and what do you add it to?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2011, 22:57:16 pm »
i went to the health food shop and talked to someone there - there are 2 kinds of protein powders - i cannot remember all the details but get the one that is NOT for bodybuilders.  they will then take you through it. i was told it does not alter any recipes in taste or texture so you can use it however.  one of my friends got it after i did as her kids are almost as picky as mine (except they eat vegetables / salad / love broccoli, just don't eat enough food generally) and she sprinkles it on their cereal for a boost.  i add a scoop or 2 to muffins i am making, pancakes, brownies, anything i am baking really. i already cut down the sugar etc in them and then i add in purees and protein powder and knwo that it is at least giving them the nutrients they need.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:47 am »
I do something similar that Deb does...I've never thought of protein powder which is brilliant. i add ground flax and chia seeds (chia seeds have a lot of amazing properties) to everything - scrambled eggs, oatmeal with banana, pancakes with bananas, pasta sauces..etc.
*Sarah*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:55 am »
Chia seeds? Need to know more...

WISH my boy would eat scrambled egg. He did up till about 13 months but not at all since...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2011, 03:09:42 am »
I used to buy this brand: http://www.salba.com/

then I just bought flax and chia together.

Yeah eggs have been something she usually eats. Mind you, she doesn't eat a lot of it. I tried to sneak some blocks of veggies in it but she wasn't impressed. I think purees are just the way to go with her.
*Sarah*

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2011, 13:11:52 pm »
Protein powder is brilliant!  As is flax and chia.  I think I have both kicking around in the cabinets but hadn't thought to add them to A's food.  He eats primarily finger food, though, which we're working on, but it's hard to add much to slices of bread, chunks of cheese, and orange slices! :P
*Kate*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2011, 13:22:56 pm »
If you make your own bread though you can add flax or chia seeds into the dough?

Going to buy pre-made pizza dough today (Trader Joe's) and roll it out and blend veggies into the sauce and top with cheese and serve at lunch today... Wonder if I can throw some flaxmeal (I have some on hand) into the sauce/blender too or would that be yucky?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2011, 23:23:57 pm »
OK so the pizza did work well yesterday. Just made up some pancake batter for tomorrow morning (since it's one of the few things DS is eating lately). Followed from Sneaky Chef - mixed 1 cup boxed pancake mix (I have an all natural honey/buttermilk one) and 1/4 cup wheat germ with 3/4 cup reduced fat milk, one egg, one mashed banana, 1/4 cup orange puree (mix of sweet potato puree and carrot puree) and one tbsp grapeseed oil. Hope they come out good/the kids eat them!

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2011, 23:29:19 pm »
I have this cook book but I have slacked with really preparing the recipes.  Tonight I made dd the grill cheese and she ate it fairly well.  She loves the french toast, pancakes and the green eggs or the regular scrambled eggs with the cauliflower in them.

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2011, 23:48:37 pm »
I tried the mac n cheese and it wasn't bad.  The cheese sauce got kind of clumpy as it cooled, but that's probably because it used low fat ingredients.  I'd make it again. ;)
*Kate*

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2011, 04:46:33 am »
i have a great recipe for mac n cheese - wonder if you could just use ww pasta and add in a puree? would the puree make it too runny? could you add less milk and add a puree instead like cauliflower?

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1/4 lb Elbow Macaroni
  1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  1/2 Tablespoons butter
  1/8 each onion
  1/2 Tablespoons flour
  1/16 teaspoons dry mustard
  1/8 teaspoons pepper
  1/4 teaspoons salt
  3/8 cup milk

1. Boil noodles to instructions
 2. Drain and pour into baking dish. (1/2 size steamable foil pans work great for 1lb of pasta.)
 3. Saute onions in butter.
 4. Add flour, dry mustard, pepper, and salt.
 5. Stir in milk until thickened.
 6. Remove from heat; stir in shredded cheddar cheese
 7. Pour over noodles; cover with foil.
 8. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
 9. Stir; add more milk and cheese to taste.

NOTE: Onions, flour, dry mustard, pepper, and salt are all optional. The other ingredients make a good macaroni and cheese, but it doesn’t “stick” together.

heather

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2011, 17:35:10 pm »
Heather - that sounds good and I'm sure you could add in either cauliflower puree or b'nut squash puree. Maybe cut the milk back if so to 1/3 a cup if worried about it becoming runny?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2011, 16:18:32 pm »
DRAT. Just tried the Sneaky Chef breakfast cookies. Had to use half ricotta/half cottage cheese cause that was all I had on hand. But 400 must be way too high - After 15 minutes they were burned to a crisp! Have to go to the store tomorrow morning so will get more ricotta and try again, making them not as thin/flat and oven maybe to 375?

http://dayfamilyof4.blogspot.com/2008/03/by-requestagain-i-must-be-good-cook.html

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2011, 17:23:03 pm »
let me know how it goes - i have not tried anything out of that cookbook yet.

i made the lemon chicken and cauliflower au gratin from the Double Delicious cook book and it was just OK. not sure if it was my cooking skills or not. def wont do the au gratin again bc DH hates cauliflower.  i don't  but it wasn't that great.

i wish i had all the ingredients for the tomato soup to make for lunch but looks like we'll be having canned tomato soup and grilled cheese. we r having a cold day here!
heather