Author Topic: Looking for some breakfast/finger food and veggie recipes for 6m old!  (Read 4025 times)

Offline asher79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I am always on the lookout for recipe inspirations! I weened my daughter at 4 months on the advice of my HV (Baby wasn't sleeping well, mind you she still isn't!)
Anyway.... she is a vegetarian. I have up until now been feeding her pretty bland things, plain fruit/veg. She has no teeth as yet and often chokes on puree when she is telling me she doesn't like it... this happens often! I was wondering what if anything i can give her as finger food... she always has her toys/fingers/anything that will fit in her mouth! I thought it might be nice if she could have something that perhaps tasted a little better!

??? ??? ???

Offline grahamsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
Re: Looking for some breakfast/finger food and veggie recipes for 6m old!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 00:20:05 am »
Meghan likes all kinds of cereals- cheerios, chex and crackers.  Also, those baby puffs. 
I'm sorry I don't know for sure what your equivalents are.
She will also eat bits of banana, apple, peach, avocado.  Tomorrow I'm trying sweet potato as a finger food. It's all very messy!  Come check out the baby led weaning thread.  There's so many ideas there.

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 00:32:24 am »
For finger foods, you could steam any veggie that you are already feeding her and cut into strips or chunks. Also, soft ripe fruits, like bananas or peaches, or tinned fruits cut into chunks.   I wouldn't worry about plain veggies/fruits being too bland.  Babies usually don't like strong flavours and don't need any spices or anything on their food for taste like an adult would like.

Also check out this sticky for finger food ideas:

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0

Offline asher79

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:16 am »
Thank you both! She wont choke on them then? I still havent progressed from pureed foods and baby rice!!

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 14:26:23 pm »
Gagging is a natural reflex.  It's just your LO getting used to chewing and swallowing.  It will get better as they go along.  My DD actually chokes more often drinking water from her sippy than on chunks of food.  You'll be there to supervise too, so it will be fine.  Just start small, even a few cheerios or something, and she will learn as she goes.

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 20:51:03 pm »
Meghan doesn't choke much at all.   I let her feed herself as much as possible and she seems to regulate it just fine.  I also don't put much food on the tray at one time because she doesn't have the pincer grasp yet so will just take a handful of whatever is offered and stick it in her mouth!

Offline asher79

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 21:28:31 pm »
Ok, i'll give it a go... i hate it when she goes bright red and chokes!! what about baby rice cakes? Are they any good at her age?

Offline grahamsmama

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 21:37:31 pm »
Meghan likes rice cakes.  I just break them up into little bits and she'll let them dissolve and swallow them.  She can also just munch on a whole rice cake and make a big mess!   ;D

Offline monsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 23:53:05 pm »
I have just given my 6.5 month old baby rice cakes and she loved them - I gave them to her whole and she did really well with them.