Author Topic: standing up in crib - how to handle at naptime?  (Read 653 times)

Offline katemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
standing up in crib - how to handle at naptime?
« on: October 09, 2007, 16:45:08 pm »
Hi,

I'm sure this question has been posted a lot - but my search for other posts didn't produce the answer I'm looking for.

I know this is developmentally exciting for her to stand up in the crib (and everywhere else, really) now that she can pull herself up, but how should I handle this at naptime?  She knows how to get down during her activity times, but in her crib she seems to just hang on the edge and cry out pretty loudly.  I've been coming in, and just laying her back down and reminding her it's just time to go to sleep.  Sometimes I only have to do it once, and other times it takes multiple times.  Is this okay to do, or should I be letting her figure out how to get down on her own?  If so, what should my response be to the hard crying?

Also, she's been waking up early from her naps and starts crying hard out of nowhere, and I run in to find her standing.  I might be crazy, but is it possible that she is pulling up while she is still sort of sleepy/out of it and finding herself all of the sudden awake and standing and it scares her?  It just seems like she starts crying so abruptly, and I don't really hear any warm up cries before hand if that makes sense.  I try to lay her back down to finish out the nap, and that works some of the time, and others it just doesn't!  Any thoughts?  I know I need to continue to give her plenty of practice during activity time.

thanks,

katemom

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: standing up in crib - how to handle at naptime?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 18:45:06 pm »
That's totally normal katemom  :)  When they're working on a new skill, the urge to practice and perfect it is subconscious so that's why they'll wake at night or during a nap to do it, or even sort of in their sleep like what you describe.

You're doing everything that you should be, it will pass  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o