Author Topic: 6mo with rash around the mouth & runny nose!  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Muriel - Elisa's mama

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
6mo with rash around the mouth & runny nose!
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:41:32 am »
Hello,
I just started my 6 mo old on solids: cooked pears & apples and the reactions we had so far was a runny nose & a rash around the mouth. I just saw the ped. and we got a cream/Vaseline to put on the rash. It may be allergy to the natural colorants that are in the fruits. The ped. told us to continue and go ahead by giving other fruits & veggies and said it should go away with time.

Anyone experienced this??? ???
It looks pretty bad and I can see my LO is getting nervous. I stopped with solids for few days and I could see she was much better!! So I am now trying cereals and before I start again with fruits I would be glad to have advices or shared experiences with that!! any fruits to avoid, veggies that work better??

Thanks for your help!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

daybyday

Re: 6mo with rash around the mouth & runny nose!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 16:16:29 pm »
both my children had this....and TBH it seemed to coincide with teething...I think it's the combination of the acids in the new foods, with the extra acids in the saliva with teething...

If your ped is okay with you continuing offering the fruits/veggies then I would do so...

limiting most of the fruits with a high citric content would probably help...

Sorry your LO is having a rough go of things...

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 18:11:22 pm »
many thanks!! nice to know it does not causes more problems! it is also true that elisa is now teething so you are sure right on that one too! i will try new fruits then see how it goes!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:32:45 am »
Good luck and I hope your lo has no further problems with food. My ds had similar problems with certain fruits but they went on to cause terrible eczema flares. Having said that I have known babies that don't have further issues.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:37 pm »
well, a small update... today I tried apples, cooked & pureed.. it was much worse than with the pears!!!! :'( :'(
elisa had the rash nearly in a second, red eyes and runny nose, even with cream/vaseline to portect her all around!! then she tried to vomit the few she had in the mouth and scracth her eyes as probably very itchy then!!! I rinced very fast with water and a bit of soap and it calmed down as fast as it came but it was quite of a reaction!!!

so, I don't really know ho to go on and what to try next and if it is some fruits more than others, I thought apples would be safe!!!!! any advice???? ??? ???
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 13:18:02 pm »
I think I would leave fruits for a while to be honest and possibly start with some vegetables. I would also suggest keeping a food diary so you can keep it all documented. You could also try rice cereal aswell. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. My son seemed to react to almost everything, the reactions varied from severe eczema flare, stomach pain, mucous filled nappies and lips and face going puffy. I think I would also speak to your lo's ped again as it definately sounds like she is having an allergic reaction to the foods given.

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 13:35:48 pm »
thanks for teh advice, I will try veggies see how it goes and call the ped again! well i am so sorry for my gril, because she actaully looooved the pears!! so it was not fault of liking!!

how does it go now with your LO?
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 14:13:13 pm »
James has lots of food allergies and has actually developed a severe feeding aversion. James will only have neocate advance (special formula) and eat raisins and now likes walkers ready salted crisps. His consultant thinks that it is due to the amount of allergic reactions he has had. We are waiting for James to be accepted for feeding therapy at the moment. The main difficulty we have is that James really wants breadsticks but is allergic to wheat. We did decide to let him have a little to see if it was still a problem and he became incredibly itchy and had mucousy nappies. Hopefully your lo will not have as many allergies as James which will make things easier.

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 14:19:43 pm »
oooh that's sounds sooo tought! i hope your LO will be accepted in food therapie, sure with all teh reactiosn, I wouls also look at food with a different pair of eyes!!!
well we keep eachothers posted!!
I will try pees tomorrow to see how it goes!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

daybyday

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 17:14:27 pm »
oooooooooooo that does sound like an allergy....I'm so so so sorry....maybe trying the veggies to see if there is a reaction to those...and back off to introducing more cereals...

My DS has a few 'contact' allergies that cause the area around his mouth to break out...but my ped is not worried about those, but you have to make sure that that's all they are...with the severity you are describing, I would ere on the side of caution...Good luck and I hope this is passing quickly for you...

Hopefully your DD will not have what Jimbob is describing...that sounds so difficult...big hugs to you both!

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:29 am »
thanks daybyday! i have to call my ped today see what he says! my LO was at the day care the rest of the day yesterday and the sitters said it was not so good the whole day with coughing and wanted to be in the arms teh whole time! she was also quite pale too when i arrived even she waking up and of course we had soem night waking ups and this rmoning she still looked not at her best! so I sure need to check that one!
peers did not had that effect, only the mouth rash and a bit of runny nose but not like that!!
well, i hope it is only for now!!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007