Author Topic: What is the cause my DS' eczema?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline camwlove

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:50:06 am »
My DS had eczema since he was 3.5 month old. He is now 6.5 month old. It is mainly on his cheeks, behind his ears, forehead, and a little bit on his body too. It is not too bad, but it flared up sometimes. It seems hard to figure out what triggers it.

I've been mainly breastfeeding and supplementing with a partially hydrolysed formula (based on cow's milk). I've eliminated diary, egg, peanut from my diet, but still have wheat-containing food such as bread.

Anyone has an idea what triggered his eczema? Food or just enviromental factors? How big is the chance to get the eczema by drinking a partially hydrolysed formula?

He doesn't have any other reactions such as diarrea or vomiting though.

Thanks in advance.

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: What is the cause my DS' eczema?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:23:30 am »
I can't help with the food side of things, but what do you bath him with? You may need to take a look there. Anything that contains SODIUM LAUREL SULPHATE or SODIUM LAURETH SULPHATE will make his eczema worse. 
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: What is the cause my DS' eczema?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:35:06 am »
It is hard to say what the chances are of partially hydrolysed formula causing eczema. I know my son can't tolerate it his eczema flares terrible. I also know there are lots of babies with eczema that can. My son has lots of food allergies that cause his eczema to flare amongst other reactions but he also reacts to products used in the bath, air fresheners, perfume, dogs, cats and pollen for just a few examples. Having said that it is the food allergies that make more of an impact on his eczema than anything else.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline camwlove

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 22:40:38 pm »
Thanks!

I also learned that food allergy has more impact than other factors. But for the first year, baby's main diet is milk, so it seems nothing much I can do about it. I was thinking about switching to soy based milk, only learned baby may be allergic to it too if they are allergic to cow's milk. Anyway, partically hydrolyzed formula is probably better than normal ones.

Now what I can do is try to avoid flare-up by paying more attention to the environmental factors such as not overdressing him and using laundry liquid especially for babies. I've been using bath oil to bath him, so this shouldn't be a concern.

Hopefully, he can grow out of it soon.