Author Topic: Nap help!!! PD great at night, but train wreck at nap time.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline jmhappy100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Nap help!!! PD great at night, but train wreck at nap time.
« on: October 18, 2007, 18:24:03 pm »
Hi, my 13 month old Samuel is just starting this whole PD routine and he is doing great at night, we are down to about 5 PD and standing about 3 ft away from his crib while he falls asleep (can't leave the room just yet, he is still peeking to make sure we are there) and this process takes about 10 to 20 minutes...not bad considering we only started using PD 6 days ago.

But nap time is a wreck!  He only takes one nap a day.  We accidental parented Samuel into thinking he needs us to fall asleep.  Before we started PD I would hold him until he feel asleep then put him in his crib where he would sleep for anywhere from 45min to an hour and a half.  Then he would only continue his nap if I held him the rest of the time which could be up to 2 hours.  He will nap between 2 and a half to 3 hours if I play by his rules.  So our goal nap time is 2 and a half hours, seems reasonable.

Here is what is happening now.  We do our bottle, books, songs and cuddle which takes about 15 minutes.  Then I kiss him carry him to his crib and tell him it is nap time, time to go to sleep.  On the way to the crib he starts fussing, because he knows what is coming.  I lay him down, say goodnight (he is in the middle of a mantra cry) and I leave the room.  He escalates which takes about a minute then i go back in.  At which point I do a PD (he was already standing before I got out of the room the first time).  Now he is no longer crying and the game has begun!

What I have been doing is laying him down each time he stands up whether he is crying or not.  And this game usually takes about 45 minutes and then he finally sleeps.  I have tried walking out of the room if he is just standing there playing and not crying, but he starts up as soon as I turn to leave, I still leave let him be for a minute then go back, and he is magically all better 30 seconds after I return and do a PD.  Yesterday I noticed he has made the PD into a game.  Please remember most of the PD are happening without crying going on, he stands I move to do a PD he smiles and waits for me to do the PD.

So, we started out as usual today, I noticed the game happening so I decided after about 10 minutes that I would not do any PD until he is actually crying, I would just stand in the middle of his room and wait.  He messed around for about 30 minutes at which point I was getting frustrated, so I reverted back to doing PD, this time it only took 3 and he went to sleep.  Mind you this now brings us to about a 45 min process again.

I know consistency is the key, which I am lacking here.  At bedtime it is so much easier because he doesn't play.  I don't know what I am supposed to do???

As for a schedule here goes:

Awake between 6:30 - 7 am
Breakfast: 7am
play 7am -9am
snack 9am -9:30
play/park 9:30 -11:20am
lunch 11:20
nap prep (bottle, books) 11:45
in crib 12pm -2:30 to 3pm
snack 3:15
play 3:30 - 6pm
dinner 6pm
play 6:30pm - 7pm
bath/lotion/jammies 7pm - 7:30pm
bedtime prep (bottle, book) 7:30pm - 7:45pm
in crib 7:45pm

Samuel gave up his first nap about 2 months ago and he has been walking since 8 and a half months...so, I don't think either of those is the problem.  I think I need a plan of action on what specifically to do for naps when all he wants is to play.  Do I do PD everytime he stands crying or not? Do I wait for him to cry before I do a PD.  If he is content just standing there playing do I leave the room?  See at night once he fusses and we go in we stay until he is asleep, but mind you he is not playing and that is down to between 10 and 20 min.

HELP!!!  PLEASE!!!!

jill :)

Offline Aly Mac

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
Re: Nap help!!! PD great at night, but train wreck at nap time.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:22:20 am »
Hi there Jill and Welcome to the BW forum!

From my limited PD experience it sounds like the right thing to do, but I will transfer your post over to the PU/PD forum so you get some more experienced advice.
Aleesa.....

Offline jmhappy100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 13:16:51 pm »
thanks...i could use all the help i can get  :)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 21:03:38 pm »
Hi there!

I think I need a plan of action on what specifically to do for naps when all he wants is to play.  Do I do PD everytime he stands crying or not?

No, you should only use PD when he's crying.  As you've experienced, it can turn into a game if you use when he's content.  It's not a way to force him to fall asleep, it's just way to reassure him as he learns how to self soothe. 

Quote (selected)
Do I wait for him to cry before I do a PD.
Yup.   :)

Quote (selected)
If he is content just standing there playing do I leave the room? 
  That's what I would do.  At this age your presence can be very stimulating and distracting and ultimately you don't want to become a new prop, so it's best to head out of the room, always returning for a genuine cry. 

Because of his age, you have a few other sleep training options.  Here is a link to the toddler sleep FAQs.  You may want to give wi/wo a try; or, if you think that will be tough on him, you may try the gradual removal method sort of combined with PD:  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0

HTH

PS I'm going to move this thread over to the toddler sleep board as they may be able to help you a bit more with the toddler sleep training methods. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 21:18:28 pm by Peek-a-boo »