Author Topic: can't stick to 4 hour EASY...what should I do?  (Read 914 times)

Offline benandmichelle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
can't stick to 4 hour EASY...what should I do?
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:27:32 am »
My problem realtes to almost every one of the last thread....45 min naps and feeding. The problem is with us that often Lo is up for 1 1/2 hours before a feeed is due. If I were to feed him even an hour earlier he would be on more like a 3 hour EASY at 4 months.
The biggest concern is that when we do go to feed (and I try to extend it as long as possible near the 4 hour mark) , he is so tired he won't eat and is very whingy and can't concentrate. But I don't want him snackign every few hours.
He is exclusively bf.
The schedule I am TRYING to get happeneing is basically a 2 hour nap in the mornign between 9-11 and afternoon, 1-3 but what it in reality looks like is this:

E 7am
A
S latest 8.30. I don't know why but his A time in the morning is so short. He must wake up tired! :-\

Lately this nap has been 45 mins so the day goes on with me trying to get him to nap after he has been awake for about 1 1/2 hours again and it goes on and on like that the whole day with trying to feed in between. If we are lucky he has one nap or an hour and a half a day but it's always at different times.
He has reasonably good nights. Goes to bed at 6.45, df at 10 and around 2am another feed and wakes at 6.30 or 7am.
I am trying to do everything right...windown, watch his tired signs (which are almost impossible to read) but the day is all over the pklace.
I long to be able to post my routine like everyone else can but it is just different all the time.

Should I be more strict with sleep training and keeping him in his bed doing PU/PD until we finally get the naps to last longer? Or just feed him more often...which is the lesser of 3 evils?
Can ANYONE Out there give any advice?

Would be fantastic
Thanks

Michelle

The simplest and most obvious cause which can there be assigned for any phenomena, is probably the true one. (David Hume, 1737)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Amandamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: can't stick to 4 hour EASY...what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 14:27:08 pm »
My first suggestion would be to try to extend the first A time of the day.  With some babies the first A time is shorter than the rest because the morning nap is a continuation of nighttime sleep; however since your LO is only sleeping for 45 min. in the morning it probably means he isn't tired enough when he goes down for his nap.  I had a lot of success with walking around the house carrying my LO and singing to her to extend her A times.  I would shoot for 1 hr 45 min of A time in the morning and see if that helps and then work towards 2 hrs if you think you can.  Even if you just extend it 5 min. each day it might help.
There is also a lot of good info on the naps board about extending 45 min. naps.  You can try wake to sleep or you can go in at 35 min. wait for  him to stir then help him settle back down through the change in sleep cycle.
I'll try to find some links for you on that, but my LO is on my lap right now trying to type so it may be a little later. ;)
Personally though I found that extending the morning A time helped with a lot of our napping problem.
--Amanda
Mommy to Ian, 12, Lila, 2 and Cara, born 11/10/09

Offline Amandamom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 14:30:29 pm »
--Amanda
Mommy to Ian, 12, Lila, 2 and Cara, born 11/10/09

Offline elliesmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 15:18:55 pm »
Your story is so familiar to me! Same thing is going on in my house but add extreme fussiness due to overtiredness.  It's hard, isn't it.  I am currently trying to gently extend dd's morning A times and yesterday she slept for 1-1/2 hr staight!!! She's sleeping now, so we'll see how it goes today (I think I hear her...dang.) But yesterday she was really on track w/ EASY because of her morning nap being so good.  It's worked well for us to carry her around for an extra 5 or 10 min.  Nothing too stimulating or exciting for her so she doesn't get overtired.  Well, looks like I've got to go do the sh/pat to get her to sleep some more.  ::) Good luck!
Laurie